Elocution competition/ nursing service

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elocution competition/ nursing service

I've been wanting to ask this question for a while now. You are all so helpful to each other. I've had no success in finding anything. We've found in my grandmother's photo album (she's long gone) a scrap of a newspaper article about an American Forbes girl winning a silver cup in an elocution competion I think sponsered by the King. Unfortunately dates are not there. Nor full names.

There were four Forbes girls in our family. Rose, Sarah, Catherine and Margerat Jane (Jennie). My first guess is that it was Jennie. The mother and father of these girls were married in Wigan in 1879 and had other relatives there. Jennie traveled several times to England from Cleveland, Ohio although I have found only one passenger list she was on. That was in October 1907 from Liverpool with her mother Bridget. I haven't found the others traveling back from England. If not in Lancashire, where would such competitions have been held? Is it possible to find a list of winners?

In addition to this, a family legend is that Jennie received a medal for her service as a nurse in WWI. I can't find her on commercial ships to or from anywhere around 1917. Nor have I found her on military rosters. I don't know under what service she volunteered. Maybe Red Cross. Even if she served in France would it have been possible she got a medal from a British source? I'm thinking that because she had relatives in Blackburn maybe she privately volunteered in that area. She was pretty spunky. I can't rule out anything with Aunt Jennie. Or maybe the legend has morphed from the silver cup to a medal for nursing service. The elocution contest was in a piece of a newspaper article, just not the names. And why would it be in my grandmother's photo album if it wasn't she or one of her sisters. There were no other Forbes relatives in Cleveland. I just had a thought. Maybe it was their cousin Nellie from Ft. Scott, Kansas. I know nothing of her travels.

Any ideas on where to look would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Jude

Families: Forbes, Duffy, Cusick, Gavin

Hello and welcome.
    Have you looked at the national archives?
    JavaScript Support Check

The official archive of the UK government. Our vision is to lead and transform information management, guarantee the survival of today's information for tomorrow and bring history to life for everyone.
    Last edited by jean; 01-05-09, 19:18.
    Jean

To forget your ancestors is to be a brook without a source, a tree without a root....

Comment

have you found their parents on 1881 census?
      what were their parents names?
      Jean

To forget your ancestors is to be a brook without a source, a tree without a root....

Comment

I don't know what I would look for in the National Archives.

The parents were Michael Frederick Forbes and Bridget Duffy. Michael left for the US before the 1881 census. Bridget and first daughter Sarah were in the census. I've tracked Michael's father (William) through the census and Bridget's father Patrick. But that doesn't tell me anything about Jennie's nursing or any contests. By the end of 1881 or 1882 they were in Ft. Scott, Kansas. After Sarah was born in England the others were all born in Kansas.

Comment

I have added another link for a Catherine Forbe above - of course the possibility of being yours is low
          Jean

Comment

I'm sorry Jean. I totally missed your links to the National Archives. Thanks. I'll look at it.

Comment

The Times archives

Times Archive | Online Newspaper Archive of The Times from 1785-1985
              Jean

Comment

Oh, oh, oh. I found a record for Jane Forbes. I forgot she went by that name then. She went by Jennie after her divorce. The medal record will need some deciphering. I'll have to work on it more. I can't be sure it's her but it's more than I've ever had. I would suppose that I should be able to take some of the notations on the medal card and maybe get to her actual service record. I can't even tell if this Jane was American. No reference to residence.

Thank you Jean. I'll look at the next link you gave me. Have to get home now.

Jude

Comment

another link for a Jane Forbes - nursing sister
                  Gazette Website: PDF Navigator
                  Last edited by jean; 01-05-09, 21:33.
                  Jean

Comment

Would the medals have been awarded long after her service? The Gazette was dated 1921. I think she was back in Ohio by 1918. There are notations on the medal card that might be file numbers. Maybe it will help identify Jane better.

Comment

I don't think they started issuing medals until 1920/21, but I could be wrong.
                      Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Working...
                      X