Waterloo Records

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Waterloo Records

I was tidying up my tree today and noticed going through burial records my 4x great grandmothers brother William Prowting had "soldier served with 15th Dragoons" on his burial entry. He also called his youngest son William Waterloo Prowting, so putting two and two together thought it fair to assume he had fought there.

Looking at the National Archive site looks like I am on the right track, and further still he signed up with his older brother as there are records for them both

WO 97/110

Covering dates 1804-1819
    ROBERT PROWTING
    Born DURLEY, Hampshire
    Served in 15th Dragoons (Light)
    Discharged aged 36

Covering dates 1804-1827
    WILLIAM PROWTING
    Born UPHAM, Hampshire
    Served in 15th Dragoons (Light)
    Discharged aged 42

Hopefully at some point I'll be able to make a trip to Kew to view the records, but in mean time I notice they are both listed (under spelling PROUTING) on the following Findmypast collections:

Peninsula Medal Roll 1793-1814

Waterloo Medal Roll 1815

Would anyone be kind enough and able to do a look up, or at least let me know whether the records are very detailed, i.e worth shelling out on credits for.

Thanks

I can't tell you about the FMP records, but can't you buy thse army records direct from the TNA? It wold be cheaper than going there (or are you nextdoor?? lol)

Comment

Yes,you can order copies from TNA of their discharge papers. Go the page for the reference and click on Request this to get a price. Haven't got access to fmp but would imagine it will just give name and regiment.
      The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
      Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

Just been reading through and apparantly they are scanning them right now with a view to putting them online, (WO97 Chelsea Pensioners Records), and they should be finished by end of June...hmm, might be worth waiting until then, probably be 3.50 like the marine service sheets I expect, but I'll request a price now anyway and see what they say!

Comment

End of June? I thought it was supposed to be 2011!!!
          Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

Little more info, Just found this by googling:

"One of the most unusual names for the period was Waterloo. William Waterloo Prowting was baptised in December 1837. His father William Prowting was a Waterloo Soldier serving in the 15th Dragoons. His occupation is variously listed as Chelsea Pensioner (1827), Blacksmith (1830), Retired Dragoon (1831), Smith (1834), and Retired Sergeant (1837). He was obviously very proud of having served at Waterloo"

from Durley History Society Newsletter January2007

Comment

Ann

By looks of it they are scanning two lots WO97 the Chelsea Pensioner papers and WO96 Militia Attestations. They have already started on WO97 and it will be finished end of June. WO96 they are starting on next year and those will be the records finished 2011. It's not clear if they are holding WO97 back until WO96 is done..but it wouldn't make much commercial sense, I'd be suprised if they did.
              Last edited by Richard; 01-05-09, 17:59.

Comment

Thanks Richard. Can you tell me where you got the June date from please? Would be surprised if they've done nearly all of WO 97 already - it's huge! Unless they mean just the ones discharged up to 1854, i.e. the ones that are name searchable on the catalogue and are already available on film.

Comment

Chelsea Pensioners' records and Militia Attestation Papers to go online | The National Archives

WO97 1-2225 already done, the remainder 2226-2705 due finished by 26 June.

Comment

Richard

Thanks. That refers to the scanning but doesn't say when they will be available online. Covers the period you're interested in but not the complete series.

Comment

Are they scanning the complete series Ann? If they are I imagine a July release would not happen, but if so strange it's not in their schedule, appears there they are stopping at 2705. Goes up to 6,000+ looking at the description. Of course as you rightly say mine are early ones, already well done in any case.

Comment

They said they were going to do all of them. 2705 seems to cover I think D surnames for a particular date band so they wouldn't just stop in the middle of the alphabet! Perhaps they just haven't worked out the rest of the scanning schedule.

Comment

Yes I think your right Ann, they can't surely be stopping at 2705, I think they plan to periodically update the scanning schedule.

Comment

FMP just says for Waterloo Medal Roll 15th [or Kings] Regiment of Hussars. William was a Sergeant and Robert a private. Nothing else.

For Peninsula Medal Roll it just has William as a Sergeant with four clasps Sah, V, O and J whatever they stand for. No Robert.

Comment

Thanks for that Colin is much appreciated.

Have requested the full records from the National Archives, so hopefully they will tell me more.

Comment

Working...
                              X