Illigitimate babies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Illigitimate babies

I have received a contact from Ancestry, she has a Hilda Mary Collins in her tree born 13 Dec 1902, she was her grandmother.

On the 1911 census Hilda was living with her grandmother Elizabeth Collins, my gt. grandmother, so we are connected. She knows Hilda's date of birth because she was her grandmother, obviously, but she can't find a Birth Certificate for her, the family lived in Shoreditch.

I have found a birth for a Hilda Mary Collins reg Jan/Feb/March, Leicestershire, my question is, do you think she would have been sent all the way to Leicestershire to have the baby she was about 19 at the time. I hope this makes sense.

Barbara

Hi Barbara,

She may have been in service and fallen pregnant when there and then turned up at home with the newborn baby.

I certainly think it is worth her ordering the certificate. Your contact could order the certificate and use the DoB as a reference checking point. Having said that, my gg grandmothers birth cert has a date of birth four days before the date given in the family bible.

Hope this helps,

Tom

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

Comment

Where is Hilda's place of birth according to 1911 census?
      You say she is living with her grandmother, is her mother there too in 1911?

It is perfectly possible for an illegitimate birth to take place many miles away from the family home. Many girls were sent away to give birth to avoid scandal.

I think you will have to order the certificate to see who is listed as her mother and go from there. Do you know who 'your' Hilda's mother was so you can check it against the certificate?
      My avatar is my Great Grandmother Emma Gumbert

Sue at Langley Vale

Comment

She may not have been "sent away" she may have been working in Leicestershire when she gave birth.

Have you traced the family backwards? How many daughters does Elizabeth have, old enough to be Hilda Mary's mother?

OC

Comment

There is a Hilda Mary Collins age 8 living in Leicester on the 1911 census so I don't think that birth will be your Hilda.
          KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
          (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Also the 1911 census gives your Hilda's birthplace as Shoreditch London.
            KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
            (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

It says on the 1911 census that Hilda was born in Shoreditch, I cant find a birth reg for her in Shoreditch.

Elizabeth had 3 daughters all able to be the mother, she was already bringing up one illegitimate grandson Edward who was still with her on the 1911 census as well. These are not my direct line so I haven't sent for certs for them and Edward was killed in the 14-18 war unmarried.

They were my grandfathers sisters, I don't think they had strong enough knicker elastic lol, my grandad got my grandmother pregnant too, but he did marry her.

barbara

Comment

Yes indeed I do . In 1941 my BM was sent from London to Brighton to have me. She was sent to "The Home for Penitent Females " run by the Church Army. I have see the place it look like the old fashioned Work House. Grim at the best of times, she was there 2 months.
                Sheila
                I think, therefore I am. Descarte

Comment

Thanks Kite for that information, looks like we will have to think again.
                  I am off to bed now so if I get any more replies, I am not ignoring you.

Barbara

Comment

Redacted
                    Last edited by Penelope; 01-05-09, 11:43.

Comment

What a tale, Penelope! By which I do not mean it's untrue, but that it would be the basis of a powerful novel, you'd think!

Christine
                      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Working...
                      X