12 Howards Road, West Ham

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12 Howards Road, West Ham

I have come across a probable 'Child Migrant' (no relation to me) living aged 4 in 1901 with a dozen other very young children at 12 Howards Road, West Ham but I can't seem to find out what the place was as there is no obvious head of house only a couple of 'nurses'

The child's name is Thomas Seabright born 1897 Plaistow, Essex.

I have tried googling the address with no luck.

Can any other better family history detective find any info on the place online.

George
    Proud to be connected to Elizabeth (Marjorie) Griffin, one of over 100,000 British Home Children sent from United Kingdom to Canada & Australia to begin a new life.

The children appear to be all under 3 with several at a few months old so I am guessing it was an orphanage or nursery.
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Originally posted by George View Post
      I have come across a probable 'Child Migrant' (no relation to me) living aged 4 in 1901 with a dozen other very young children at 12 Howards Road, West Ham but I can't seem to find out what the place was as there is no obvious head of house only a couple of 'nurses'

The child's name is Thomas Seabright born 1897 Plaistow, Essex.

I have tried googling the address with no luck.

Can any other better family history detective find any info on the place online.

George
      Hi George
      Howards road West Ham is in fact Howards Road in Plaistow.

I know it well as I lived two streets away.
      Up to about 1970, there was a hospital there which, if memory serves me, was a maternaty hospital.
      Has since been demolished, with only the ambulance station that was attached to it being there today.

Hope that helps?
      Trev

Researching:
      FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

There were a number of 'Units' to the hospital, with entrances in Sampson road, and Howards Road

From the national archives
        The National Archives | Access to Archives
        http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/a...pm&cid=0#0]The National Archives | Access to Archives

Administrative history:
        This hospital was founded in 1889 by Miss Katherine Twining (who became its first Matron) as the St. Mary's District Nurses' Home, Plaistow, with the object of providing midwifery and nursing support for the inhabitants of South West Ham in their own homes. In 1894, the charity purchased nos. 17 and 19 Howard's Road which formed the basis of the District Nurses' Home and in the same year opened a Midwifery Training School and District Nursing Training School. In 1895 a Committee of Management was formed to and further land was purchased in Howard's Road which allowed the premises to be extended in 1898.

Google map has arial view where it shows the main hospital area is now a large housing development of flats (slightly to the right of the indicating 'A' marker)

Last edited by TrevorFranklin; 30-04-09, 22:28.

Researching:
        FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

Working...
        X