• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Scottish headache

Any suggestions/help welcome
    Hope you can follow this

I have just downloaded a copy of a marriage cert from SP

28 july 1916 at 50 Wellington Street, Glasgow
    John Milligan Bennett 27 Bach, Baker, 19 College Park Street, Dumbarton, mother Margaret Bennett, Domestic Servant (subsequently married to William Crosbie, Locomotive worker)
    Annie Stewart 19, spinster, domestic servant, 25 Shamrock Street, Glasgow, mother Jackie Stewart, Domestic servant (Deceased)
    It is down as an irregular marriage as it has a warrent of sherriff

Am I right in thinking both John & Annie were Illigitimate

(I know Annie was as it says so on her birth cert)
    Annie Chalmers Stewart b 1897 campbeltown

Annie had a sister Margaret Stewart 1900 Campbelton
    On Margarets Marriage cert her father is given as Robert Stewart occ fisherman

It says that Margaret Bennett Later married William Crosbie
    Would it normally say if she was a widow.

I can only find Annie and her sister Margaret in 1901

12 Fisher Row Cambeltown, Argyll,
    ED 12 Sch No 99 line 13 Roll CSSCT1901_177
    Donald McPherson 52
    Grace 55
    Peter 23
    Annie Stewert 4, visitor
    Margaret Stewart 10m, visitor
    (I know this is them by info from Margarets daughter)

cannot not find Jackie & Robert or Margaret & John on 1891/91

I am going to bed now (was up at 4am)

Jackdaw

If there had been a father Bennett, he should have been on the marriage cert as deceased and mother would have had the usual maiden surname blah blah.

So it looks as if John was illigitimate, and Margaret married later to William Crosbie.

Have you looked for his birth cert?

Have you checked Margaret's birth cert to see if a father is named? It is not unusual for a bride to 'invent' a father to appear 'respectable'. Does it say if he was deceased on the marriage cert?

'll try and look at this again tomorrow - too tired tonight and ready to close down.
    Sheila

Taking a pause from tripping the light fantastic.

Comment

It is down as an irregular marriage as it has a warrent of sherriff

Am I right in thinking both John & Annie were Illigitimate
      Don't know if this helps. My 3x great grandparents had an irregular marriage in 1803 their marriage is not in the OPR Register house yet there 3 children are and on each child's entry it says they are legal son/daughter of. I eventually tracked down their 'marriage' in the Kirk session book. Basically they were told off in front of the congregation and had to pay a fined. After this any children born are legal children. I'm assuming they were living living together - I think I'm right in saying in Scotland living together for so long you were regarded as married and read somewhere that to be married you just had to say in front of two witnesses and you were married.

I think once the records were registered after 1855 people living together were married by order of the sheriff (usually just before child was born) and before 1855 the Kirk dealt with it.

Jan

Hope
      Last edited by deletejb; 30-04-09, 22:52.

Comment

Working...
      X