Name collector?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Name collector?

I've had a bit of a break from the tree as I was rather busy adding to it in a more immediate way - we had a little boy in December.

Anyway I decided to have a look on GenesReunited in the hope that things might have changed and that I'd find some useful contacts

I found my mum on someone else's tree and didn't recognise the name of the owner so I messaged them, they have given me access to their tree on both GR and TribalPages but for the life of me I can't figure out how we're related. I have a feeling this person is a name collector but I was wondering if anyone has advice on what I can do about it.

I have asked him to clarify our connection as surely we should share some ancestors? I think he has added my family are relations of his relations but no "real" connection if you know what I mean.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Edit to Add:

On his tribal pages he states he has links to Tros of Acadia King of Troy and that Adam and Eve are his 115th Great Grandparents. :(
    Last edited by becky81; 30-04-09, 17:22.

Congratulations on the birth of your little boy

Well, it sounds like you've got a name collector there alright :D Certainly on GR it is in their T&Cs that you shouldn't post the names of living people without asking their permission. So you can email GR and ask them to remove any living people from his tree....and, if you haven't already done so, close your tree to him. I don't know what the T&Cs are on TP
    Jeanette
    Don't interpret this smile as happiness; it's insanity! :D

Comment

Oh dear Becky!

I have a lot of people in my tree who are not blood relations of mine, but I do that because I enjoy the research and I would never put people onto my tree online who might be still alive.
      On GR you will be able to get them to remove your Mum from his tree if she is still alive as it is breaking their terms and conditions if he does not have her permission. I'm afraid I don't know what the rules are on TP though, sorry.

If Adam and Eve are his 115th grandparents, and you take it that each person gave birth at the age of 30, Adam and Eve only lived 3450 years ago The Egyptians were around before then! :D

I would take the tree with a pinch of salt, but ask politely about your mum and then take it from there.

How many people does he have in his tree?

Tom

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

Comment

Thanks Jeanette, I never open my tree on GR, I've been burned before so thankfully he doesn't have any more info than he already did! I'll have to look at the T&Cs on TP!

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Tom View Post
          Oh dear Becky!

I have a lot of people in my tree who are not blood relations of mine, but I do that because I enjoy the research and I would never put people onto my tree online who might be still alive.
          Fair enough I understand that will happen especially in One Name Studies etc. but he seems to open his tree to anyone which I'm sure anyone would find annoying!

If Adam and Eve are his 115th grandparents, and you take it that each person gave birth at the age of 30, Adam and Eve only lived 3450 years ago The Egyptians were around before then! :D
          Haha I did think it sounded strange but I could never have figured it out like that!

How many people does he have in his tree?
          Hmm, an interesting 44820! LOL!

Comment

44820?

That is a lot. I have just over 10,000 but that includes a village study I have been doing.

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

Comment

I decided against contacting the person who had several of my family in their tree because they had 58000 people in it!
              Jay

Comment

Hi Becky,

Congratulations on the baby, you will be rather busy now!

This person is almost certainly a name collector, I was unfortunate enough to come across one on GR and before I realised they had copied every single person in my tree.

This person also has a tree on another site that I belong to and every time I think I have a new match it turns out to be the same person's tree.

I have made some very useful contacts through GR but now I am far more cautious about who I allow access to.

Hartist

Comment

Someone on GR has my brother and his 2 children on their tree. I've sent a message to the person as an 'interested party', but not had a reply.
                  This person doesn't have our parents, me or either my brother's first wife - the children's mother - or his present wife, so I can't figure the connection.
                  Helen

http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...enSmithToo-296

Comment

It makes me so angry because he's obviously shared his tree with others and he has a lot of positive comments on the TribalPages site saying about how much work he's done and thanks for sharing and all I can think is that these people are thinking he's done lots of hard work when it doesn't take much to copy!

Comment

Originally posted by becky81 View Post

On his tribal pages he states he has links to Tros of Acadia King of Troy and that Adam and Eve are his 115th Great Grandparents. :(
                      Must be related to me then.

I have a maternal line of Abels. There's an Ancestry tree which has generations of Abels, then Abel/ Adam & Eve/ dust/ God. :D :D

But you have your very own unique addition to your tree, much better than all those names! - many congratulations on your new family member.

Jay
                      Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Working...
                      X