Passport question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Passport question

Applying for a passport c 1860. I can't find any info on the net for this.
    Would just the head of the family apply and have his wife and child named on the passport or would they all need to apply individually and have seperate passports?
    Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Afraid none of those answer my question Kyle but thanks for your imput.

I have googled etc but nothing specific came up. Ancestry and FMP don't have the answer either:(
    Kat

Comment

As far as I know, passports per se weren't in common use at that time. But I might be barking up the wrong tree. I think you just got off the boat in "foreign parts" and said loudly "Où est l'homme de Cooks?".
      Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Lol uj
        Kat

Comment

This may or may not help.
          The National Archives | The Catalogue | Research Guides
          Phil
          historyhouse.co.uk
          Essex - family and local history.

Comment

Passports were not mandatory/obligatory until 1916 so they may not have had passports. If they definitely had passports then they will be either online through FMP and thererefore also at Kew TNA.

Janet

Comment

Thanks Janet for confirming my thoughts. My knowledge of that era comes mostly from reading John Buchan!
              Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

It may help to remember that passports originally were intended to place the possessor under the protection of the Crown and were supposed to be a guarantee of safe passage. So if you were just off to Dinard for a short break, you wouldn't dream of getting one. If you were travelling to some war-torn, anti British country and your life could well be endangered, then you would.

It is only relatively recently that passports have come to mean a proof of identity and nationality. Although holding a British passport still means you are under the protection of the Crown, this is really only words!

OC

Comment

Thanks Janet and OC.
                  I found one I think could be mine on FMP but I would have expected to find his wife and daughter with him. That's why I asked if they would all be on one passport. He has a very unusual name so that's why I think it's him.
                  Kat

Comment

Kat

In 1860, wives and children belonged to their husbands, so they may be mentioned on his passport.

Unless they travelled alone, without him, I very much doubt the wife and children would have their own passports.

OC

Comment

I'm going to have to invest in Ancestry again I think, OC.:( I was hoping to get away with not buying into it when my sub ran out as I have FMP too. I have found two this week who decided to emigrate:D
                      Kat

Comment

Working...
                      X