Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what to try next?

Hi

Today i recieved the wedding cert of my GGGF Thomas Davies. He married Margaret Beynon on 02 July 1884 at the register Office Merthyr Tydfil.

My problem is that his father is also Thomas Davies, neither have a middle name that i am aware of as yet. Both are coal miners.

As you can imagine, when i search, it brings up hundreds of choices, but with nothing else to go on, i am at a loss as to where to look next.

Any suggestions please

Thanks
    Marie
    My avatar is my GGGF JJJW Hummerston
    Researching HUMMERSTON in LONDON...DAVIES in MONMOUTH....SHIRLOW/SHERLOW and MILLAR in BELFAST....MILLAR and MCGRATH in ADELAIDE SA

What is his age on the marriage certificate, and what details do you have for him on any censuses with Margaret? Or did he die before 1891?
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Oh, and who were the witnesses?
      KiteRunner

Comment

Hi
        it gives his age as 23 and the bride as 18.
        I have Thomas in 1891 age 29 with his wife and children and same in 1901 (havent looked at 1911 yet). dont have a death for him yet either.
        The witnesses were Walter Davies and Margaret Thomas, but i have no idea if they are rellies or just friends.

Thanks
        marie
        Researching HUMMERSTON in LONDON...DAVIES in MONMOUTH....SHIRLOW/SHERLOW and MILLAR in BELFAST....MILLAR and MCGRATH in ADELAIDE SA

Comment

Sorry, I meant what does it say for his birthplace on the census? Is this them in 1891?

Thomas Davies Head M 29 Coal Miner Glamorgan Merthyr Tydfil Welsh
          Margaret Do Wife M 24 Do Do Welsh
          Mary Ellen Do Daur 6 Scholar Do Do Welsh
          Maggie Ann Do Daur 3 Do Do Welsh
          Richard Thomas Do Son 2 Do Do Welsh
          Lavinia(?) Do Daur 2 months Do Do
          ("Language spoken" for Lavinia has been filled in and crossed out!)
          KiteRunner

Comment

yes OC that is the family. Lavinia is Jemima.
            Both census state birth place as Merthyr Tydfil

sorry should have said it is the older Thomas i am looking for

Comment

Going through the Thomas Davieses of the right age and born and living in Merthyr Tydfil on the 1881 census with father called Thomas, and looking for any who are coal miners, this one is a possible, but I can't get the image to come up at the moment:

99 Twynyrodyn
              Father is Thomas age 46 and is a collier born Cardiganshire, wife Mary 55, Richard 22 haulier and Thomas jr age 19 collier (all of these three born Merthyr).

There could be some others, though - oh, forgot to ask, what is Thomas's address on his marriage certificate?
              Last edited by KiteRunner; 29-04-09, 23:33.
              KiteRunner

Comment

i couldnt understand the address, but seeing it like that, it looks right.
                Thanks OC where did you find them. I seem to have been going round in circles with this family, as they were so original in naming their kids.

Comment

There is a possible family on the 1871 with sons Richard and Thomas matching the above but the parents don't quite match the ancestry 1881 transcript - I'll see if I can load the 1881 image to check but it might not be till tomorrow.
                  KiteRunner

Comment

Originally posted by mariescott64 View Post
                    Thanks OC where did you find them. I seem to have been going round in circles with this family, as they were so original in naming their kids.

What does OC have to do with this, lol?!

I just tried looking for any likely Thomas Davieses, as I said, then look at each one to see if they were coal miners, but till we actually check the image we can't be sure if it really says collier anyway!

And it would help if we could find a Walter. But if the address on the 1881 matches the address you have on the marriage certificate it should be the right family.
                    KiteRunner

Comment

Thank you ever so much OC for your help.
                      Im gonna go to bed now, have a headache looking for these.
                      Will check back tomorrow.

thanks again
                      Marie

SOOOO Sorry Kite, LOL told you i had a headache

sorry and thanks

Comment

I've had no luck at all trying to find the image of the 1881 census for this family; it seems to be totally messed up on ancestry. I don't know whether anyone else can find it, maybe somewhere else?
                        KiteRunner

Comment

thank you for trying Kite
                          it is much appreciated

Marie

Comment

Working...
                          X