No announcement yet.

Where to search next - Electoral Rolls?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to search next - Electoral Rolls?

Hi, this is my first post and I hope I've made it neither too simple or complex!

Myself and 2 cousins have been trying to research the shared part of our tree (for me, this is the last remaining branch!), but are completely stuck with our (G)Grandfather, believed to be Sidney Charles Martin.

Unfortunately we cannot find a marriage for him and our (G)Grannie - Catherine MacGruer/McGruer. We do have their childrens BCs (1920's) and he is listed as the father on both - in fact he registered the first himself, and also on their marriage certs (1940's) where listed as deceased. The children grow up not knowning much about him, tho it may well be that he left them rather than died. He is however named on (G)Grannies gravestone, with the fornames reversed.

It seems to me that our next likely source is going to be Electoral Rolls or Land Registry records to find out if he did actually live with them at all, but I have no idea whether this is possible and how you go about it - so far all my research has been using census, BMD and other on-line resources. I have a specific address in Southampton 1923 and also Nottingham up until 1948 to investigate.

Any tips as to how to go about this would be much appreciated!

Thanks
    xx

Well, if you would like to give me the Nottingham address I can check it out on the electoral rolls for you - either post it on here or send me a PM. I am hoping to go to the Notts Archives tomorrow so if you give me the address in time I can look it up then.

I don't think that Land Registry records will show who actually lived at an address, just who the owner was, but I could be wrong.
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

and southhamton library has the Electoral Rolls

i do go there but not offen but could look next time i go just dont know when that will be at moment. if you can wait pm the details and i will look for you
      southamton library local studies and maritime library
      are very helpfull and you could ring see if they will look for you
      Central Library
      and the achive link
      Archives
      wye surrey/london/birmingham
      lawrence/laurence berkshire/london/norfolk
      hall harrison cook/e pratt surrey
      ebbage maltby pratt norfolk
      herbert pratt yorkshire/hampshire
      armstrong/rickinson/harrison/beddington yorkshire

Comment

Many Thanks for the offers of help and info!

I'm told that Catherine "owned" 2 adjacent houses in Nottingham, one with lodgers, but would be useful to find out whether she bought them herself, of if they bought by her husband(?) before he left them/died, so wondering if Land Registry would help with that - and how to get the records - I have the addresses but no specific date for purchase.

Comment

In terms of looking for the marriage have you trawled the images of the BMD Marriage index for the years around the births of the children? The 1920's marriage are not yet fully transcribed I don't think so you would not find anything with the search box option.
          Margaret

Comment

I don't think the Land Registry started till 1925, and it didn't cover the whole country for a very long time (the part of Yorkshire where I worked still wasn't covered in the 1970s).

Comment

History of land registration here:

HM Land Registry - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So there was a small amount of land registration before 1925, but I don't know whether Nottingham was included.

Comment

I asked the Land Registry a while ago about finding an owner of a property I was interested in for the 1930's and they have a form to complete for this sort of enquiry, plus a fee of course!
                If you have a date of death (from the gravestone) you could see if there was a will at all also get his death certificate to see who registered it.
                Margaret

Comment

Land Registry website has an interactive map. You can feed in an address or postcode and hover over the map to find which bits they have info. on. I tried it with our church, which I know isn't registered, and found what I expected, that a nearby commercial property changed hands a couple of years ago.
                  Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Thanks for the info about Land registry - I *think* that although there are properties with the same addresses now, they are not the same buildings - the ones there now look quite modern, so I think I will have to contact them in person .

I have previously searched several years of marriages and can't find them (have also checked Scotlands people in case they married near her home) Thing is, they had the children quite late so I'm wondering if there were other marriages before, or if he was a biggamist, or which way round his name actually was, and how old he was :(

Thanks to KiteRunner we have so far managed to confirm that K/Catherine is listed in 1936 Kellys Directory living at the Nottingham address (probably without Sidney), but someone else is there in 1932.

Comment

Hi queenie

I am very sorry to report that there are no Electoral Rolls in southampton between 1918 and 1932.
                      Southampton was badly bombed in ww2 and this is most likely what happen to them
                      Southampton library has only 2 kellys of that time 1923 and 1927 and they were in neither. other library may have differnet kellys in and I will look out when in bounremouth library.
                      I did check to see which church they may have attended and found they may have gone to st denys st bannbas and highfield. did a quick look at high field and did not get any where. the other 2 finches where not in the library and achives are not open on a saturday.
                      I got a lift with husband as he had to work today so i had a fun day so thanks for that.
                      sorry I could not be of futher help
                      karen
                      wye surrey/london/birmingham
                      lawrence/laurence berkshire/london/norfolk
                      hall harrison cook/e pratt surrey
                      ebbage maltby pratt norfolk
                      herbert pratt yorkshire/hampshire
                      armstrong/rickinson/harrison/beddington yorkshire

Comment

Working...
                      X