2 to 3 hours in London

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 to 3 hours in London

So I've been and continue to be snowed under with work so limited time on the tree. But next Wednesday I'm in central London and between 2pm and 6:30 pm nothing to do.

Now I had a little bit of family around Walthamstow and others around West Ham. But most from further afield.

I have interest in one naval WW1 who survived but no military dead to follow up. Mostly people with trades like butchers, drapery, thermometer makers and jewellers.

So how might I best use my time?

All suggestions welcome

London Metropolitain Archives?

Comment

First Avenue House in Holborn? (Wills and Administrstions 1858-present)
      The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
      Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

Find the places they lived and worked and take photos?
        Hail Spode!

Comment

Thank you guys and gals. I'll investigate the two institutions. I guess you get to sit down and browse stuff so I could use all my time (until they close) which would be better for the health than camping in a pub.

Sadly guy most of their locations have been redeveloped. Infact I haven't found any I had imagined grand London houses, and they might have been, but sadly no longer.

I'll tell how I get on.

Comment

Don't forget to take 2 forms of Id or you won't get in to LMA. Wouldn't want you to have to resort to the pub
            Jules

I'anson of Lincolnshire and Yorkshire. Bannister of Lincolnshire. Burnett of Northumberland. Carter of Sussex and Hampshire. Goldring of Sussex and Hampshire. Fitzgerald of Goodness knows where. Smith of Yorkshire and Lincolnshire. Dixon of Lincolnshire. Payne of Hampshire

Comment

Colindale Newspaper Archives might also be interesting, but it isn't really in central London.

Comment

If you get to First Avenue House in Holborn (for wills post 1858) you can order them to arrive within an hour, and there's a very good Sam Smiths pub close by that does excellent food - The Cittie Of Yorke - if you feel the need for refreshment.

Comment

Jules your a life saver
                  Mary one for another time if I get a sniff near Collindale.
                  Jill yr a temptress but as I'll be between lunch and an evening pub meeting I think I'll avoid the pub.

Tx one and all

Comment

Originally posted by Jill on the A272 View Post
                    there's a very good Sam Smiths pub close by that does excellent food - The Cittie Of Yorke - if you feel the need for refreshment.
                    Is that the one that used to have a big coal stove? I only went there once about 20 years ago for someone's retirement drinkies.
                    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

That's right, UJ, a big triangular freestanding cast iron one, they had it going when we wer there just after Xmas plus there are huge whisky & sherry barrels up on a walkway (empty since WW2) and lots of little booths. You q up at a school canteen style counter for home-made food.

Comment

If you have people in West Ham and want to find out old information on the area
                        Go to The Newham Story | The story of Newham is the people, who have lived and worked here
                        Forums are really good source of archive info.

I was born there and know it has changed a LOT!!

Researching:
                        FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

I found the Stratford Library very good for people from West Ham. I found poll books there for my West Ham people and there is a lot of the old history of the area there.

Janet

Comment

Working...
                          X