Richmond Surrey local studies library

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Richmond Surrey local studies library

Does anyone visit the above? (at the Old Town Hall, Richmond)

My 3xg-grandfather's death cert says he was drowned in the River Colne at Twickenham on 17th June 1870. An inquest was held on 20th June and I'm hoping a report of this would be in the local paper (Richmond and Twickenham Times?). The local studies library state they have local papers from the mid 1850s.

I was going to ask the library what their terms were for looking for this, but I can't find an email addy for them :( If anyone else can see one, that would be great!!

Full contact info appears to be here:
    The National Archives | Search the archives | ARCHON Directory | Repository Details

(courtesy of Google!)

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thanks Christine! I was going round in circles - their website suggests you contact them for various things, but doesn't say how to do that! lol

Comment

Oh bother :(

I had a reply today from the local studies library. They say the main local newspaper for the area was the Richmond and Twickenham Times but that wasn't set up until 1873.

The only other newspaper covering the area in 1870 was the Surrey Comet, but apparently this didn't mention the inquest for my ancestor.

So, is that the end of it? Any ideas, anyone?

Comment

Bother indeed Merry!

Wish I could offer some suggestions. I've only been to Richmond Local Studies once but they were very helpful and I found tons of stuff.

Perhaps if you contacted the Twickenham Local History Society they might know of other sources, maybe a local diarist?

The Twickenham Museum
          ~ with love from Little Nell~
          Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Thank you Nell - I'll certainly try that!

It did occur to me that Richmond is in Surrey and Twickenham is in Middlesex, so might it have been reported in a Middlesex paper?? Don't know which one though, so maybe the Twickenham Local History Soc might know that!

Comment

Merry

Don't know if there is anything here about your 3x G grandfather. Not sure what years are covered. I found references to my 2x G grandfather in Surrey on here.

Untitled Document
              My avatar is my Great Grandmother Emma Gumbert

Sue at Langley Vale

Comment

Thanks for that Sue.

I couldn't find anything about my ancestor or any of the others who might have been in that paper, but I've saved the link as a favourite in case they add further editions online in the future.

Thanks again

Comment

Working...
                X