Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sherborne, Glos - Anyone nearby can help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sherborne, Glos - Anyone nearby can help?

Morning all,
    I have a little bit of a puzzle and am struggling to find out for sure (pre 1837).

Working backwards, if my research so far is correct, and ELIZABETH HALE (c1762) is my 6g grandmother. She married George Cross is 1784 on Christmas Day.
    on Enthusiasms - 34 they have found a quote from the Jacksons Oxford Journal detailing her death. It says that she had 2 sons and four daughters at home at the time (all middle aged and single). It doesnt say either way whether there more children.
    Where my questioning comes in is that people from the website have gone on to look at the 1851 and parish records to find the children - missing out my 5g grandmother who was born soon after the marriage, but the children they list are not born for 9 years after the marriage.

I was hoping that church / burial records may exist in some detail like they do today to help.

This is my working backwards to help (sorry if I am not making much sense so far)

Will start with my g grandmother
    Ethel Beazer 1894 - 1978 (certificate confirmed) born to George Beazer and Norice Large.
    Norice Large 1867 - 1956 (cert conf) born to John Large & Sarah Eden
    John Large 1839 - 1923 (cert conf) born to William Large and Sarah Simpson
    William Large & Sarah Simpson married in Sherborne in 1825. No parents are listed on the IGI entry on familysearch.org.
    I looked for christenings in Sherborne approx 20 years or more back and came up with;
    William Large chr 1805 in Sherborne to parents Joseph Large and Sarah.
    On searching for the marriage of Joseph and Sarah I found:
    Joseph Large and Sarah Cross married in 1802 in Sherborne.
    Sarah Cross was chr in 1785 in Sherborne to George Cross and Elizabeth.
    George Cross & Elizabeth Hale married in 1784 in Sherborne. They married in the Dec of 1784 and Sarah was christened in the March of 1785.

I think that I am right to believe that the listing on the website for Elizabeth is the right person, but am just a little concerned that I may follow a trail that leads me down the wrong path - have done that in the past!
    Sarah was married in 1802 and so wouldnt be living at home in 1856, but nevertheless I am still covering all bases and re-confirming all my information from as many sources as possible from now on.

Thank you, (and sorry for rambling)

Karen

It looks to me as though you need to do some more research to confirm that your Willliam Large who married Sarah Simpson is the same William who was christened in 1805. Have you found him on the censuses and if so does it give his birthplace as Sherborne and age consistent with him being born around 1805? Have you checked that there isn't another William Large born at the same place around the same time? Have you checked the Sherborne burial register to make sure the son of Joseph and Sarah didn't die young? Do you have the names of the witnesses from William and Sarah's marriage to see if they are related?
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

So far I have the 1851 cesnsus for William and Sarah (slow going attaching every relevant census to every person). They are listed as being born in Sherborne. His age is given as 45 - approx 1806 (give or take for birthday).
      The only other William Large born in Gloucestershire (according to IGI) was a year later in Stow on the Wold.

I havent managed to get to look at any original parish records yet, so dont have the witness names unfortunately.

As I dont live in Gloucestershire, as much as I would love to send time in the records office, its not simple.

Comment

Having looked at the censuses, it does look like a good fit. Should have said, I'm not in the Gloucestershire area either, just sticking my oar in, lol!
        KiteRunner

Comment

A helpful oar always welcome!

When I was typing it up for here it did make more sense than it does in my head, but I have been stung so many times in the past with dodgy information that since changing to FH I am re-entering my entering tree rather than copying over the gedcom and confirming sources / linking information as I go. Its a slow process, but hopefully one thats worth it. can get rid of all the wrong information.

Comment

Have you tried looking to see if any of the family left wills? They can be very useful in confirming family relationships.
            KiteRunner

Comment

I havent, no.
              Im not very good at finding wills.

Comment

You could try on here:
                Gloucestershire Record Office - Genealogical Search
                KiteRunner

Comment

Thanks, will do.

Comment

Working...
                  X