Trying to find grandparents' marriage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to find grandparents' marriage

Shame my grandparents marriage isn't up there yet. I can't order her birth certificate as I have no idea what her maiden name was.

Originally posted by LorraineJ View Post
    Shame my grandparents marriage isn't up there yet. I can't order her birth certificate as I have no idea what her maiden name was.
    Is her maiden name not on the birth cert of your parent? (don't feel you have to answer that!)

Comment

Originally posted by Merry Monty Montgomery View Post
      Is her maiden name not on the birth cert of your parent? (don't feel you have to answer that!)
      I do know my grandmother's maiden name, it was Smith. Thing I'd like to find out is my great grandmothers maiden name, her marriage and then be able to order a copy of the marriage certificate.

My grandmother's name was Lilias Helen and she was born in Leatherhead, Surrey Sept 1895 Epsom 2a 29

Her mother died in Leatherhead in Mar 1904 Helen Smith 38 Epsom 2a 35

Not sure whether its a family anecote but we supposedly have a family crypt in St Mary & st Nicholas churchyard in Leatherhead and we know that Lilias and Helen are buried there.

My great grandfather's name was Albert Smith and he was born in Capel around 1861, according to the 1891 census he was still living with his parents in Capel but by 1901 he was living in Leatherhead with a five year old child, my grandmother.

I have found possible marriages in 1894 and another in 1893, but haven't a clue which one to pick.
      Last edited by LorraineJ; 29-04-09, 09:12. Reason: Previous post total nonsense

Comment

Have taken the liberty of bumping this up as I have now put on a sensible post instead of what I put on tired, yesterday evening.

Comment

So what you need to do is to get Lilias Helen Smith's birth certificate and that will tell you her mother's maiden name.
          KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
          (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Lorraine try this link to the church yard
            Parish Church of St Mary & St Nicholas Leatherhead - Listing of names on gravestones - Section E

albert, lilias and nellie are there- think number 534 or 543!

if nellie is albert's wife then does that help with the marriage certificate search. nellie could be short for eleanor, helen etc.

hope this helps
            Angelina

Comment

So was Albert's wife not with Albert in 1901?
              Hail Spode!

Comment

Oh she is, I see them

Class: RG13; Piece: 585; Folio: 74; Page: 10.

If you've narrowed down to two marriages, have you tried finding the two possible Helen's using their maiden names and born in the same place as Helen Smith from 1901 but in 1891?
                Hail Spode!

Comment

I think it would be better to get Lilias's birth certificate so you are sure of being on the right track.
                  KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                  (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Working...
                  X