X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Family deeds

Hi has any one ever had any dealings with the following site -

Family Deeds

I came across the link from another site and in the process of looking at the names mentioned, I found this reference to Robert Dobson in Pickering. My 4x great grandfather was called Robert Dobson born c1787 in the Pickering area. Unfortunately, the only information I know about him is his name which I have from his sons marriage certificate.

Therefore I got quite excited at finding this possible connection. However, I am not sure what information I will gain from ordering a copy of the deed or whether it will help in my quest to establish if this is 'my' Robert.

Sandra

The site seems to be providing more or less a full transcription of the salient facts. I don't think you would get much more genealogical information, though it is narrowing down where he had property. If you could find manorial documents, they might show who he acquired it from (possibly his father) and who it went to (possibly a son)
    Phoenix - with charred feathers
    Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Did your Robert marry Catherine Brearey by any chance? Their marriage settlement's available, but the marriage was in 1802, which is perhaps a bit too early.

Comment

Thank you Sandra...............

It is very interesting.

If anyone looks in, can they have a look at surname "Savory" (either Charles or Foskett) and tell me what Edward Clark had to do with it all.

I don't understand what the document is.

Thanks.

Comment

Foskett was simply a witness. I would imagine that Charles was a tenant, but without looking at the original document, you wouldn't be able to see how he fitted in.
          Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Thanks Phoenix......I'm trying to work out what Edward Clark had to do with it.

The Savorys were solicitors. Unfortunately it looks like I can't get a copy.

Comment

As soon as I'd posted, I realised what you meant. Dur.

As Edward Clark is signing (and not Ash or Cross) it looks as if he is relinquishing something. i wonder if he is effectively a trustee:

MORTGAGE BY DEMISE: the most common form of early mortgage in which the land acting as security was transferred to the mortgage by a perpetual lease for a term such as 500 or 1,000 years, on redemption the land was transferred back to the mortgagor and the remaining term of years assigned to a trustee

I have a little book at home, very dry and complicated, which sets out how abstracts should be taken, so that you understand what part each individual is involved in.

Comment

Edward was a party to the deed - I would guess that "Mrs Margaret T De Ridder and others to Richard Ash Esquire and Edward Clark Esquire to William B Cross Esquire" means that (1) Margaret Ridder and others borrowed money from Richard Ash and mortaged property to him to secure the loan and (2) Edward Clark borrowed money from William Cross and mortgaged property to him to secure the loan, but it's hard to be sure without seeing the actual deed.

Comment

Hi,

Is every one looking at the same page as me? I am looking at this page -

Family Deeds. I can't see any of the names listed above. I am interested in Robert Dobson as this was the name of my gggg grandfather.

I answer to you question Mary I do not know who Robert married. There is a possible marriage of Robert to Mary Turner 28 Dec 1807. This certainly fits in with the birth of my ggg grandfather William Dobson 1809. But that is as good as it gets.

On William's marriage certificate his father is listed as a Labourer. Would a labourer be of sufficient status to be included in such a document as this?

Sandra

Comment

Sandra - I have had an opportunity to look at other deeds relating to my own family in Archives. I think the only reference you will find to Robert Dobson if you got the transcript of this one would be a mention of his property being just one of those making a boundary with the one which is the subject of the deed. It is a way of 'marking out' the extent of the property in question. Several other people in that part of the list will be referred to in the same way.

Note that it says 'occupant' of the property. The actual deed would have said something like "bounded on the west side by the property of Mr XXX now in the occupation of Robert Dobson" In other words he rented it.

Not much real use to you except it proves where he lived.
                    Anne
                    Last edited by Anne in Carlisle; 29-04-09, 14:44.

Comment

Sandra, I think the other names that were being discussed were from another entry, nothing to do with the one you were asking about.
                      KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                      (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Hi,

I've had a couple of transcriptions from Family Deeds and was really pleased with them, the last one I was able to download directly from the website as a pdf file.

One gave me information about where my ancestors lived and the type of property and land they lived and worked and the other one gave me loads of information about the family.

The property was being mortgaged but had been passed down through the family for several generations and the document had information about the various generations, dates of death, info on Wills and also said where part of the family had moved to in another area which broke down a huge brickwall for me.

From my own experience I think deeds are a really good source of alternative information and if you only have the details of the property at least it can give you more of an insight into how your ancestors lived which is always interesting to know.

Lucy

Comment

Working...
                        X