Prisoner of war in 1812

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prisoner of war in 1812

Earlier today Valley was able to find details of an ancester from Trinity House Petitions.
    This says "Hurdman Ann, aged 51, wife of Jacob, prisoner of war at Longwy, of Sunderland 1812"
    Longwy although sounds Welsh is infact in France, and miles inland.
    Would he have been captured whilst at sea and taken inland or do you think that he would have been fighting on land ?
    I think that this could have been during the Penninsular Wars ?
    He seems that he made it back home because he made another application to Trinity House in 1820.
    Any ideas what to do next ?
    Julie

Smile, it confuses people.

Hi Julie

It's only the indexes which i hold. The Society of Genealogists have the actual (original) petitions which were passed to them from Trinity House in 1934.

If you send them an enquiry they will let you know the procedures. There can be a lot (or little) of information in the original applications.
    Here's the link,it won't harm to send an email and ask. ;)
    Society of Genealogists, Family History, Genealogy, Family Names

Good luck.

Comment

You can order it via the British Origins website but you would need to be a member - you can buy a 72-hour membership pretty cheap.
      British Origins - English genealogy search, England ancestor records and England maps
      KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
      (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Thanks for the advice.
        I will try that and see what comes back.
        I googled like mad yesterday and didn't find that. :o

Thanks
        Julie

Smile, it confuses people.

Comment

I only know because I have ordered a Trinity House Petition from them before, Julie.
          KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
          (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Longwy is a fortress town near Verdun. It's been used to hold prisoners on and off since it was built. Your ancestor would have been held there during the Napoleonic wars, it surrendered after the battle of Waterloo and marked the end of Napoleons 100 days in power after his escape from Elba.

Comment

Working...
            X