Help ~ google mail please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help ~ google mail please

I have received an email today the message was OK the attachment I could not open. They were scanned documents which I finally viewed via MS Picture Manager.

First I could not rotate these Scanned documents absolutely everything was 'greyed out'. They have been scanned as landscape and are very long to read which is a problem. I have only been able to save them within my email folder as they do not appear to even let me 'copy and paste' into word.

The biggest worry of all is that while playing around with them I clicked on a google option to open them and found that they had been saved 'online'. Google mention the word Dismiss which I thought might mean 'Delete' but they are still on line. How can I close this option and does it mean that all my mail will be saved on line as that is the last thing I want.

This is so confidential I am really worried I hope someone can help me sort this awful mess out especially the 'Online' part. Thank you.
    Margaret N
    DOGS HAVE OWNERS ~ CATS HAVE STAFF

Researching:- WILBURN from Yorkshire/Kings Lynn, London. NEWMAN from Dover/Reading. DOUGHTY from Portsmouth. ROGERS from Bethnal Green. Rumbelow from Norfolk

I don't really know, Margaret, sorry - you don't use Google Mail to open your emails, do you? What is it you use, Windows Mail?
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Hi Margaret,

There's lots of information in Gmail Help (upper right corner when you're logged in on the Gmail site).

This explains how to permanently delete messages: Deleting messages - Gmail Help
      Last edited by Cloggie; 27-04-09, 22:39.
      Sarah

Comment

KITE,
        I use my Gmail as a seperate account ie. different username and password and open it on the MAIL tab on the Google home page. The files are saved on the GM Server just like Hotmail.
        Windows Mail, I use for my other emails from via Talktalk and these messages are saved on my PC.
        Margaret N

Researching:- WILBURN from Yorkshire/Kings Lynn, London. NEWMAN from Dover/Reading. DOUGHTY from Portsmouth. ROGERS from Bethnal Green. Rumbelow from Norfolk

Comment

Sarah,

I have looked at that page but not identified this item that calls itself "noreply@.......which is the name of the sender. It opens a second window on the email and tells you that the message is now on a shared public site. I just don't understand it. Google have sent me an email and thanked me for using their storage facility which can be viewed by all. It is not possible to reply to this email.
          Thank you so much for your interest. I am going to put the PC to bed before I throw it out of the window.
          Margaret N

Comment

Normally a message sent by noreply@... is automatically generated. I receive my monthly invoices from my e-mail provider as noreply@, and sometimes order confirmations for purchases made online, or confirmation of registration on websites come from noreply@ addresses.

I wonder if there's anything about your issue on these pages:
            Archiving - Gmail Help
            Storage - Gmail Help
            Contacting Support - Gmail Help

There is also a Gmail Help Forum (user community)

And you can search Gmail Help by entering words in the search box.
            Sarah

Comment

Oh, I see, Margaret, sorry I was confused because I would have thought that Google mail was already stored "online" but the shared public site thing is something I have never come across. When I have an attachment on an email on Google mail, there is a view button and a download button to click on and it then downloads the attachment to my computer. So I would have thought the best thing to do with a confidential attachment would be to click on the download button?
              KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
              (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Kite, I agree that how it normally happens but I just could not open this one. It had come from a very secure site of a business firm and maybe they had a programme that is not compatible. Anyway, I am getting over the panic but will email google and ask them to remove it.
                Sarah,Thank you also for your interest if I ever resolve it myself I will let you know. It appears that as a public file to share with others that I can view it at anytime so will take another look at it. I have never noticed Norply before.

Late Update - Problem sorted. Opened Google Documents and selected the item then the option to delete appeared.
                Last edited by Margaret N; 28-04-09, 23:04.
                Margaret N

Comment

Working...
                X