Ancestry or Find My Past sub?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ancestry or Find My Past sub?

I currently have a sub to Ancestry UK, but wonder if I may do better switching to Find My Past with the introduction of the Parish Records collection.

Any views? Also are there any offers for Find My Past around at the moment?

Look forward to your thoughts
    Pauline
    xx
    OPC Lanlivery, Lanivet & Newquay
    www.mumsiep.tribalpages.com

I went with Find My Past after 3 years with Ancestry and wish I hadn't, I can't get on with FMP, but then I guess its what you get used too, sorry not much help:o
    www.chrisatstjohns.tribalpages.com
    http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/index.php/User:ChrissyConfused-91

Comment

Pauline, I would check first to make sure that the parish records cover parishes (and dates) that you want. Also if you have already looked at them on Family History Online then you may find that you already have all the stuff that Findmypast has. And have a look around on ancestry because they do have some parish records on there too.

Apart from that, the censuses on findmypast aren't all complete yet but at some point they are going to get the 1911 census included in a new subscription. If you have Scottish rellies then ancestry has transcriptions of the Scottish censuses but findmypast doesn't. Findmypast has passenger lists for people leaving the UK and ancestry has them for people entering the UK. Also findmypast has the overseas GRO indexes but ancestry doesn't.

So it's hard to say which will suit you best without knowing exactly what you are going to be looking for!
      KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
      (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

KiteRunner has summed up the differences between the two very well. I will add that I have a sub with FMP mainly for the coming of the 1911 Census which will be part of the sub, though I will have to pay an increased rate on the sub I have which is the Explorer.

I would also add that Ancestry has the army documents for W War 1 which are very comprehensive, but I did some of that work with Ancestry when we used to get 3 free days which no longer seems to happen! The army docs available with FMP are very little, and I have not found these of any use at all.

The Parish Docs that are on there are very few in number when you consider the amount of Parish Docs we have in the UK and you will probably find they have little more than Free Reg will offer at present but if your county is there then that will be a plus for you. The Baptisms for Docklands if you have Docklands Ancestors is very good, but only Cof E. As mine are Catholic I have not found this useful. However, I know I can obtain ancestry world wide through my local library so am sticking with FMP for the time being as I am doing a lot of census work for OH. The 1851 and 1901 is not complete, but they are saying will be complete by the end of the year.

I have used the outgoing passenger lists a lot and have found many of mine emigrating this way.

I also use the overseas index on FMP a lot as I have many army ancestors.

Only you can decide what you want, but I am happy with the decision I made.

If you want an online tree, in the past Family History Mags have rated FMP as a more secure site than other sites.

When you first go on you need a viewer to see the docs and this can cause problems with your computer but if you follow directions about active x controls then all will be well! To do this you will have to go into the Control Panel/internet Options/Custom Level/Active x Controls. At this point it is usually down as Disable so you change to Enable amd that should sort it!!

Janet
        Last edited by Janet; 28-04-09, 09:43.

Comment

Thanks for those thoughts. Think I will be sticking to Ancestry for the time being then, and get some Pay as you go units for FMP as and when I need them.
          Pauline
          xx
          OPC Lanlivery, Lanivet & Newquay
          www.mumsiep.tribalpages.com

Comment

Working...
          X