X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gedcom database nearly at 450,000

Does everyone keep uploading regularly?

T

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

Not everyone has any new relatives!!! :( lol

Comment

How many members are using it Tom.. that is the real question..
      https://squeakerslair.wordpress.com

Comment

I've recently added a few more.

New members or old, have a go, its not difficult and there are plenty of folk who can help if you get stuck.

I also use it to check if members have relations born in parishes where I have taken places of worship photos, especially if I'm able to offer additional pictures eg of the font their relation was baptized at.

Comment

Originally posted by Merry Monty Montgomery View Post
          Not everyone has any new relatives!!! :( lol
          LOL Merry, I've been expanding the tree and looking at those further afield and not necessarily blood relations.

Originally posted by Grimsqueaker View Post
          Well maybe you can tell us that Grim?

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

Comment

Originally posted by Grimsqueaker View Post
            I use it a lot when people put up a query on here and accidentally forget the date or the place of birth (or whatever) for their ancestor. Often it means (IF they have uploaded a gedcom!) I can help them when I wouldn't have otherwise been able to

I have used it to check for surname matches to my tree as well, but to date haven't made any links.

Another thing I've used it for is to identify members when I've forgotten just who it is who has Mr XYZ on their tree or a particular surname on their tree that I've come across in some source or other and I want to check if they've seen what I've seen!

Comment

I think it would be far more fun for members to submit guesses so we can see who gets closest ;)

Comment

I'll say 540,

i bet the average number of names per file is less than 1000.
                http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
                My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
                My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Thanks for the reminder Tom - I've just added quite a few more.

I'll guess at 450 members.

Jane

Comment

I'll guess at 753.

Comment

I'll guess 799

Have you noticed, our membership is now 7,036!
                      Vivienne passed away July 2013

Comment

As Merry said earlier, how many of us add large numbers to our tree's regularly, what's needed is newer members or those who have never added gedcoms to give it a go by transferring their data onto here. I've 3500 names in the database, and at the moment I'm adding sources and adding burial/death details, so I'm not adding new names. I'd guess its viewed often in the hope of new additions, but its more names that are required. - my guess around 450
                        David

I
                        Don't always claim to be right, but I'm never wrong.

Comment

You'll be pleased to know I've just sent it over 450,000. It's only my 2nd upload since I joined. My contribution is 0.5%: it would be 1% if all my names were accepted.

When I joined I uploaded nearly 4000 but only 1600 were accepted & this time it's 4500 but only 2220 reached the database.
                          Glen

Comment

Some interesting estimates there...

The actual figure is 496 with the top 10 contributors having 58197 names between them

Comment

Something i've intended to do for a long time but never got round to it yet :o
                              Jay

Comment

I've a lot of unusual names in my tree, but its not just names that can be found on the database, there are people researching the same villages or geographic area's. Myself and Brendamac have family members in a village where the population has bearly gone above 400 people. This site has so many wonderful resources for those new at research and those who have followed this "hobby" for years.
                                David

I
                                Don't always claim to be right, but I'm never wrong.

Comment

was going to upload my ancesty tree but i have mine and my hubby seperate on there and therefore can not upload them both so i will stick with my gr tree uploads as even thought the tree does not let show the intermarriedlinks. I do have both trees on there.
                                  wye surrey/london/birmingham
                                  lawrence/laurence berkshire/london/norfolk
                                  hall harrison cook/e pratt surrey
                                  ebbage maltby pratt norfolk
                                  herbert pratt yorkshire/hampshire
                                  armstrong/rickinson/harrison/beddington yorkshire

Comment

Can I ask a daft question?

I have my main file on Ancestry, and am willing to updated it here. So I looked at the 'How to' page, and the instruction is to 'open Family Tree Maker and go to the Family page'. Easy! ? Where do I get Family Tree maker? Is it from LDS? Do I buy it? Is it on this site?

I'm sorry but I really do need 'idiot' instructions. I have downloaded a PAF file from LDS, but got no further. Sorry, to be so un-tecky.

Anne

Comment

You can buy Family Tree Maker in the shops but as far as I know, you don't need it to download a GEDCOM from your ancestry tree if that is what you're trying to do?
                                      KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                                      (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

That or download the free Legacy one and imprort ancestry tree into that then do gedcom to upload to site ;;

Legacy Family Tree Genealogy Software
                                        borobabs passed away March 2018

Comment

Working...
                                        X