Winchester Castle passenger needed please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winchester Castle passenger needed please

Is there a patient person who will look for a passenger on Winchester Castle, which sailed from Southampton to Capetown on 30 September 1947, please?
    .... Problem is, we don't know lady's surname.
    A baby was baptised at sea on the voyage and in the Capetown Cathedral archives, the child's grandmother is a witness, but is named as ' Father's mother '.
    We know that she had been Mrs.Jeannie NEWLANDS, born c.1870 in Morayshire, Scotland, but think she had remarried to 'person unknown'
    We know her son William McKenzie NEWLANDS, his wife and baby Walter( b. June 1947) were travelling...but what was Granny's name?

A search for her...and possible spouse? would be great,
    Thank you.

There's a Mrs I/J GARTHWAITE, 76, of 19 St John's Grove, Redcar

She seems to be alone.

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Mrs J M WILKINSON, 72, of 73 Brunswick Rd, Ealing.
      Travelling alone?

Struck through with red pencil.
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I only looked for women of at least 70, because William appears to be 51/57.

I know it's physiologically possible for her to be younger, but someone else can trawl if you want a second try allowing for someone who is - or claims to be - younger!

Christine

Comment

Thank you for your hard work Christine.
          I will work with those names and see if I can find a marriage for Jeannie.

We know William, her son was born in November 1890 and were told that Jeannie had married her 1st husband, Charles NEWLAND, in 1889, so anyone under 70 is unlikely....unless they are lying of course.

You've given me a lead, so Thank you.

Comment

have you been looking on scotland's people? oe did these events happen in england?

Comment

Sorry, ...I'm unclear about which events you are referring to.....

William McKenzie NEWLANDS was born in Scotland in 1890 and a distant family member, also researching, told us of his parents' marriage in Scotland in 1889.
              Fast forward to 1920s and William left Aberdeen, Scotland to work on the east coast of South Africa on tug and mail boats. After c. 1930s we lost track of him and family didn't know what had happened to him until we found records of him entering UK in 1957.
              Following the trail back from 1957 we find he travelled out to South Africa in 1947( as per my initial posting) with a wife and child. Our communication with the Passport Office indicated that the Office must have seen a marriage certificate for William and his wife to travel on a joint passport. We have yet to find the marriage, which may of course have taken place in South Africa. We do have the birth certificate of their son born in June 1947 in Sussex, England.He was the baby baptised on the journey.
              William already had a wife and family back in Aberdeen !!
              I haven't found record of a divorce yet, but the baptism record indicates that his mother knew about the 2nd wife and child, although the 1st wife didn't die until 1969.
              Family hearsay tells of William's mother Jeannie 'marrying again, late in life'.

Comment

i meant william's mother jeannie. we could see if she did get married if we had an idea of which area, and a possible decade. sorry to confuse!:D

Comment

Thank you for your interest.

William's 1st wife and children lived in Aberdeen, Scotland. I believe Jeannie NEWLANDS lived there too, at least in 1920s / 1930s.
                  We know that the children and first wife travelled out to South Africa, but didn't settle, so returned, but the eldest child and Jeannie ( her grandmother) later travelled back out to spend some time with William.
                  How Jeannie came to be travelling out again is rather a mystery, but we wonder if perhaps she had gone to Sussex to help when baby Walter was born.
                  She does seem to have been quite a strong influence / feature in William's life.
                  William's father, Charles NEWLANDS died in Aberdeen, Scotland in September 1929.

I haven't yet checked for a possible marriage for Jeannie to someone with the surnames found by Christine.

Comment

Do you have any old family address books?

I've found that my mother's old address books help work out whether possibles are actually probables.

Christine

Comment

Christine
                      I agree. Address books can be so useful. I have my mother's old books which have helped alot.
                      My query here is about OH's family.
                      2 of William's daughters from his first marriage are still alive, but had no idea what had happened to their father until we told them of the inward passenger list found on Ancestry fairly recently. They last saw him in 1930s and had little or no contact with their paternal grandmother, but heard of her possible remarriage through 'the grapevine'.

William's 2nd wife remarried in England. William's son born in England died in South Africa. A later son born there and also on inward list in 1957 has also died without offspring and so I suppose everything pertaining to the family was just dumped.

Comment

Working...
                      X