Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rumours of his death were greatly exagerated

Does anyone know the answer to this?

If a death certificate was issued in error during WW1, would it stay in the indexes and would it be possible to order a copy?

The person in question apparently walked around for many years with his death certificate tucked into his top pocket.

Thanks in advance for all your comments.
    Barbara

If the authorities discovered the cert had been issued in error (I take it you mean a war death?) then I would have expected the entry to still be in the index, but possibly the certificate to have been suppressed so that if you order a copy now, you won't get it.

However, I'm not sure how good the GRO have been over the years at this sort of procedure - certainly I have seen a bigamous marriage cert where the authorities must have been aware of the bigamy and should have suppressed the cert as the "husband" was jailed for his actions!

I would say find if it's in the index and try ordering it!

Is he on the CWGC site?

Comment

oh I hadn't thought about CWGC site as he was known to someone born in the 1930's.

Off to have a look - thanks Merry
      Last edited by Barbara Dodds; 27-04-09, 17:33.
      Barbara

Comment

He doesn't appear to be listed on CWGC. Its a common name though - aren't they always when there's something potentially interesting about them
        Barbara

Comment

How will you know you have found the right death entry in the indexes?

Comment

by area and hopefully by middle name, plus I know he actually died sometime between 1965 and 1975 from family memories. As for the first one I don't know how I'm going to be sure I've got the right one:o

Think its going to be a case of finding the more recent death cert first and then finding the earlier ones.

I'm also going to have to go back and ask the family again I think for further information.
            Barbara

Comment

What we need is his army number! Did he marry or have any children whilst in the army?

Have you looked at the Medal Cards at all?

Comment

Checked my way through them and not seen anything

I'll ask the family again for information I think before I get too badly tangled. At least they are willing to talk to me.
                Barbara

Comment

Surely if it's a War Death it would be in the separate indexes so area of registration wouldn't necessarily have anything to do with where he lived.

My great grandfather's brother died from injuries sustained in the Boer War. He lived his whole life in north London but he died in hospital in Nottingham and appears in the GRO S. African Forces Deaths

Although, if your guy is actually still alive when he's been issued with a death cert I'd assume he was Missing Presumed Dead so his "area" at death would be whatever field of war he went missing from - so most likely to be in the GRO War Death Indices.
                  Zoe in London

Cio che Dio vuole, io voglio ~ What God wills, I will

Comment

Two other (contradictory) thoughts.

1) He may have declared himself un-dead to the authorities so he could claim any pension entitlement due to him.

2) He may not have been forthcoming with his miraculous resurrection if he meant he went from missing in action to being a deserter and facing charges.

I have one man who went to re-enlist for WWII and on doing so was bought up on charges of desertion for not re-joining his battalion after his official leave ended on 11th November 1918!
                    Zoe in London

Cio che Dio vuole, io voglio ~ What God wills, I will

Comment

Thanks for those thoughts Zoe. I'll have to check the GRO indices.

Desertion hadn't occured to me I must admit, and at your chap.
                      Barbara

Comment

Working...
                      X