Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canadian death indexes.

Hi all,

Is there one index for all deaths in Canada or are they split into regions?
    If so, are all regions available to search on line?
    If they are not, then how would I go about searching for a death covering all regions of Canada? I'm in the UK.

Thanks

I believe the indexes are at province or territory level. Ancestry.com has some online but certainly not all of them, and some of the provinces / territories have their own indexes online but I don't think they all do. You might be best to look at the various links in our wiki if you don't find what you're looking for on ancestry:

Canada - Family Tree Forum
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Keptin

There are some death indexes on line for Canada, but as Kite says, each Province has their own lists and seem to have their own legislation as well.
      There is no Canada-wide list such as our FreeBMD unfortunately.

For example, in Saskatchewan (where most of my relatives come from) death indexes only list deaths that occured prior to 1917. It is an ongoing project though.

Many Provinces have online indexes for cemetaries and lots have death dates as well as burial dates on them. Try here:

Canadian Genealogy and History Links

It depends what dates you are looking for, but the 1911 census is free to search, although you may have to do it Province by Province, but it may give you an idea of whereabouts in Canada to look for the death, if the name's not too common of course!

1911 Census of Canada Indexing Project

Hope this helps.
      My avatar is my Great Grandmother Emma Gumbert

Sue at Langley Vale

Comment

And in Saskatchewan the census records are looked after by a University I think.
        Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

If you find the death you're looking for is in British Columbia, let me know and I'll look up the details for you at the library. The index goes to 1987:

BASIC SEARCH - BC ARCHIVES
          Jenny

Comment

Working...
          X