Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to find a departmental store in Lambeth 1940s

Think it may have been in Lambeth Walk ????? any ideas

does it have a phone number and so an address on ancestry's phone number site?
    Angelina

Comment

hi and thanks no thats all I know ,it had a canteen and flats above for the staff so must have been quite big

Comment

what about Morleys ?
        Jules

I'anson of Lincolnshire and Yorkshire. Bannister of Lincolnshire. Burnett of Northumberland. Carter of Sussex and Hampshire. Goldring of Sussex and Hampshire. Fitzgerald of Goodness knows where. Smith of Yorkshire and Lincolnshire. Dixon of Lincolnshire. Payne of Hampshire

Comment

thanks Jules will look into that one

Comment

Morleys had a store in Brixton (Brixton Road). I used to go in there when I lived in that area and it comes under the Borough of Lambeth. A very big store.
            Stella passed away December 2014

Comment

Originally posted by Stella View Post
              Morleys had a store in Brixton (Brixton Road). I used to go in there when I lived in that area and it comes under the Borough of Lambeth. A very big store.
              do you think this might be a possibility then?
              Jules

I'anson of Lincolnshire and Yorkshire. Bannister of Lincolnshire. Burnett of Northumberland. Carter of Sussex and Hampshire. Goldring of Sussex and Hampshire. Fitzgerald of Goodness knows where. Smith of Yorkshire and Lincolnshire. Dixon of Lincolnshire. Payne of Hampshire

Comment

Would it have been post war? It's just that according to Google, Lambeth Walk was destroyed in the Blitz 18th Sept 1840.

Comment

It certainly is a possibility, but wouldn't like to say for sure. It has lots of floors and used to have a cafeteria up there. It opened in the 1920s and was still there in 1972 when I left.

Comment

blimey Merry she lived above the shop in the late 1939s to 1940s she was lucky then
                    That certainly sounds like it Stella, did it have a Perfumery and Handbag dept close to each other????

Comment

Val it did sell perfumes and handbags, but not sure if they were close to each other. It's nearly 40 years since I last went in there. Another huge department store in the same road was Bon Marche - been there donkeys years, also comes under Lambeth of course.

Comment

Did some googling and found this:

Arlsons
                        Department Stores (Shops & other Retail Outlets) based in the Lambeth Walk area of London
                        Tel: 020 78200666
                        Address: 129 Lambeth Walk, London, , SE11 6EE
                        Christine
                        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

This probably won't help at all, but it has some very atmospheric photos and interesting text:

Lambeth Walk

Comment

Hi Val,

If its any help (?) there are old photos of the Bon Marche and Morleys - and maybe other stores - here Brixton local history with photos, features and articles about the history of Brixton, Lambeth, London, SW9 and SW2.
                            Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

oo thanks everyone I wasnt going to put it on here but I do have an address for Lambeth Walk where she is supposed to have lived above the shop ?????
                              its number 89

Comment

ooer Merry guess what the shop is on that link its at ?????? 89-91 Lambeth Walk its F Taylor & Sons and there is a photo
                                how about that then
                                Last edited by Guest; 27-04-09, 19:04.

Comment

It's here, too - F. Taylor and Son, 89-97 Lambeth Walk, Lambeth
                                  Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

what a wonderful photo Joan thanks for that it wont let me copy and paste it though, think its for sale ??

Comment

Looks as though it might be, Val http://landmark.lambeth.gov.uk/default.asp- I can't quite see how the site works, though
                                      Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

oh I found it £8 per photo might just use the one off that other link .
                                        Thanks again Joan, hows your research going ???

Comment

Working...
                                        X