Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• choice of two baptism...

Hi,

I have John Withnall m 1680 in Nantwich, Cheshire.

Choice of two possible baptisms, one in 1669 and the other in 1652, both Wybunbury.

Is it possible to pick the right one? (LOL)

regards,

treesa

Treesa

Cheshire marriages of that period often contain parents names etc, so that would be the first thing I would do - look at the marriage entry.

OC

Comment

I would check burials to see if either of the two Johns died young. Also if you can work out when your John died you might be able to get his age at death from his burial which would give you a good idea of which baptism was his.
      KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
      (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Thanks very much to you both. There is a death/burial for a John in 1669 about five months after the baptism. It does not state father.

I have a choice of two burials for my John, neither gives age.

It seems that the earlier bapt, 1652, would be the one.

Much appreicate your help,

regards,

treesa

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
          Treesa

Cheshire marriages of that period often contain parents names etc, so that would be the first thing I would do - look at the marriage entry.

OC
          That's interesting to know OC as i've just progressed into Cheshire thanks to the 1911 census, although i'm a long way off the 1600's, ca 1798 at the mo :D
          Jay

Comment

The burial registers usually state the name of the father for a child burial.

OC

Comment

D'Oh - I've just done the maths! The 1669 one would only have been a child when your John got married!
              KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
              (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

*tries to save face*

He may not have been an infant when he was baptised in 1665 - wasn't Cromwell doing his thing in 1665?

OC

Comment

is the marriage to Martha Yould? marriage has this additional note on
                  CPRdb - Version v3.0 - 25 February 2003 dont know what it means

ADDITIONAL_INFORMATIONLC CHANCELLER DATED 10 DECEMBER

marriage also on IGI. Birth on IGI 2/5/1669 Wynbunbury - father also John.

do you have a family search office near you where you can see the printouts?
                  Jean

To forget your ancestors is to be a brook without a source, a tree without a root....

Comment

there are 3 wills which may fit in somewhere

Rope -
                    Rope was a township in Wybunbury Parish, Nantwich Hundred (SJ 6952), which became a civil parish in 1866.
                    Jean

To forget your ancestors is to be a brook without a source, a tree without a root....

Comment

Yes, the marriage was to Martha Youd. I don't know what the additional info is on the record. But maybe LC was for License?? No, I am unable to see the printouts, so have to rely on the internet.

I will check out the wills, so thanks very much indeed for finding them!

Comment

Treesa

Do you not have an LDS Family History centre near you? You can hire films of the original parish records and view them there for a small fee.

OC

Comment

No, unfortunately the nearest one is some distance away.

Comment

Working...
                          X