St Thomas House Basingstoke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• St Thomas House Basingstoke

Has anyone any knowledge of St Thomas House Basingstoke in 1901-Cora Wadham was an inmate there along with other females and a Sister seems to have been head of the household-I don't think it was a workhouse but any help appreciated -heathert

If you look at the description of the ED it does mention an Isolation Hospital
    ~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

I googled it, but no good hits/ However there was St Thomas Church in Cromwell Road, so it could be associated? Possibly a convent?
      Jules

I'anson of Lincolnshire and Yorkshire. Bannister of Lincolnshire. Burnett of Northumberland. Carter of Sussex and Hampshire. Goldring of Sussex and Hampshire. Fitzgerald of Goodness knows where. Smith of Yorkshire and Lincolnshire. Dixon of Lincolnshire. Payne of Hampshire

Comment

The grade II* listed St Thomas’s is one of the most imposing buildings
        within the conservation area by virtue of its scale and architectural quality,
        and, as with the Church of the Holy Ghost and its presbytery, is not only
        a landmark building, but one which makes a fundamental contribution to
        South View’s sense of place. The building was designed by the notable
        late 19th century architect Henry Woodyer as part of the home for the
        Friendless and Fallen which was established in 1874. The home was for
        ‘penitent women who had no other means of recovering the character
        they have lost before God and society’. In 1951 St Thomas’s became a
        School for the Deaf, and was threatened with demolition in the 1980’s
        before its current use as a nursing home secured its future.
        Jules

I'anson of Lincolnshire and Yorkshire. Bannister of Lincolnshire. Burnett of Northumberland. Carter of Sussex and Hampshire. Goldring of Sussex and Hampshire. Fitzgerald of Goodness knows where. Smith of Yorkshire and Lincolnshire. Dixon of Lincolnshire. Payne of Hampshire

Comment

St Thomas House

Thanks for your replies I will try and look into it further

Comment

Working...
          X