list of British soldiers declared Missing In Action in the First World War

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• list of British soldiers declared Missing In Action in the First World War

The Times has obtained a list of British soldiers who fought in a series of battles in northwestern France in the First World War.

All of these men were declared Missing In Action and their bodies were never found.

Tracing missing in action troops from the First World War - Times Online

list to be found here:

Joy

Thanks very much Joy, off to have a search

Linda

Comment

thanks for that
      wye surrey/london/birmingham
      lawrence/laurence berkshire/london/norfolk
      hall harrison cook/e pratt surrey
      ebbage maltby pratt norfolk
      herbert pratt yorkshire/hampshire
      armstrong/rickinson/harrison/beddington yorkshire

Comment

Thank you Joy, have made a note.

Janet

Comment

I wonder if they will be producing any more similar lists?

Comment

Originally posted by Merry Monty Montgomery View Post
            I wonder if they will be producing any more similar lists?
            I suspect this is connected with the discovery of the mass graves at Pheasant Wood near Fromelles (northeastern France, not northwestern as stated in the article).

Having randomly searched a few of the names on the CWGC site, all the ones I looked at have a date of death of 19 July 1916, which fits the theory. Most of the casualties were Australian, but British troops also took part in the battle.

The CWGC site can furnish lists of all the missing, just search under the names of the memorials rather than the cemeteries. The men on the list can all be found there.

Comment

Thanks for that, Blackberry - makes sense!

Comment

Were your men at the Battle of Fromelles Blackberry? I've been following about the graves too. Very interesting.

Comment

When I downloaded the pdf, there were about 28 names/page - but you can't use the search function on Preview, and the names don't appear to be in alpha-order! perhaps it works on Acrobat.

edit [1] Just realised - they're in Regimental sort.

edit [2] the later pages are all gobbledegook for me, except the very last, with a single entry.
                  But it's still a great idea: I'm all for more info availability.

Christine
                  Last edited by Christine in Herts; 28-04-09, 16:55.
                  Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Originally posted by Just Barbara View Post
                    Were your men at the Battle of Fromelles Blackberry? I've been following about the graves too. Very interesting.
                    No, none of mine, Barbara, I've pretty much tracked them all down now. Still interested though!

Comment

Yes, I agree Blackberry, don't think any of mine died there, but anyone interested could maybe look up the Battle of Fromelles, it's interesting and I think it would give some background.

Comment

Working...
                      X