Desperate help needed for laptop please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Desperate help needed for laptop please

I have done a really stupid thing and have broke my laptop.
    I was on a facebook application which froze the screen and nothing would unfreeze it. So I pulled the power and removed the battery. I then put battery back and plugged back into electricity, but laptop refused to switch on.

All I get is a black screen with the following message

Windows could not start because of an error in the software.
    Please report this problem as:
    load needed DLLS for kernel.
    Please contact your support person to report this problem.

Just borrowing OH's laptop to write this message.

Joanne

Dave suggests you take it to a PC repair shop. Could be the Hard Disk is in the process of failing.
    Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

thank you for replying Wendy. I hope PC shop can repair it as there will be so much info lost otherwise.

I have never backed up my family tree maker :(. That'll teach me!

Joanne

Comment

Dave says you should get them to make a backup of the drive before they do anything to the Laptop. Then you may be able to save some of your data.
        Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Phew. That sounds promising. I have so many things on here that I don't want to lose.

Joanne

Comment

Assuming you run XP. Start the system up in Safe Mode and then run SFC, when booted up into Safe Mode click on Start, Run, type sfc into the window and then click okay, this will run the System File Checker and repair any corrupt files.
            Best Wishes
            Ron
            www.genealogyprinters.com

Comment

Originally posted by Genealogy Printers View Post
              Assuming you run XP. Start the system up in Safe Mode and then run SFC, when booted up into Safe Mode click on Start, Run, type sfc into the window and then click okay, this will run the System File Checker and repair any corrupt files.
              Dear Ron

Thank you for replying. I am running XP, but unfortunately safe mode doesn't run. I have tried but always get the black screen with the same message. My OH has a friend that is looking at it at the moment and I have had a very kind offer from one of the FTF members who lives closeby to look at laptop for me.

I am just waiting now to see what the verdict is.

Joanne

Comment

Working...
              X