Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Surely its unlikely someone born in 1895 would be around now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surely its unlikely someone born in 1895 would be around now?

I am having real difficulty in finding the death of a relative of mine born in 1895. Firstly am I right in thinking that the death would be recorded under her married name. Also is there any way of getting round the lack of the 1921 census, I have found her daughter with the same name born in 1925, showing Mulligan as a maiden name for the mother, which is right but have no inkling who the father was.

The only way to discover exactly who the parents are is to buy the certificate. If you've searched Ancestry Births with just the two surnames, the likelihood is that you'll find the children belonging to your folk, provided the surname combination isn't too common.
    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Hi Lorraine

Can you name names or not in fear of a near relative still being alive?

If you can't give names you could send me a PM and I'll glady take a look and see what magic we can work on it for you.
      WendyP

Comment

I should have added - unless it's one of the counties accessible via UKBMD. I've been pottering around Preston in the late 1800s, and the transcriptions are brilliant.
        Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Lorraine, the death should be registered under whatever surname she was using at the time of her death. Is it possible that she had married again in the meantime? Have you searched through the GRO indexes or just used FreeBMD, which isn't complete? Are there possible deaths but they are in the wrong place?
          KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
          (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Useless information.............Henry Allingham, one of 2 surviving british ww1 veterans and Britiains oldest man was born in 1896........

Comment

To add to the above post:

The oldest woman currently in England is a Florence Emily Baldwin, known as Florrie, born in the Leeds city on 31 March 1896.

The oldest Briton ever was a 115 year old Charlotte Hughes who died in 1993.

George
              Proud to be connected to Elizabeth (Marjorie) Griffin, one of over 100,000 British Home Children sent from United Kingdom to Canada & Australia to begin a new life.

Comment

There are 3 men still alive who fought in WWI - although one of them now lives in Australia so doesn't get as much coverage as Henry Allingham or Harry Patch.

Henry Allingham was in the RAF and is now 112 (born 1896), Harry Patch was in the Army and is 110 (born 1898) and Claude Stanley Choules was in the Royal Navy and is 108 (born 1901).
                Zoe in London

Cio che Dio vuole, io voglio ~ What God wills, I will

Comment

When I have got the funds I will have to join Genes Reunited, so that I can send a message to what appears to be a distant relative. He has posted that he is looking for her too, has the right family name, the dates are right and also she was born in the right place.

Might sound daft but I feel quite excited finding an albeit distant relative.

Comment

Lorraine, save your money - if you'd like, I'll send the message for you if you'd like to send me a PM here saying what to type.
                    Joy

Comment

Hi Lorraine,

I don't know if there's a reason you haven't told us who this thread is about (so I'm not giving names either!), but there's a fitting marriage for the parents of the 1925 child I'm guessing you are refering to, in 1915 Q4. There are two children showing on FreeBMD for this couple, the one in 1925 and another one in Q4 1917.

I can't tell you anything more about the husband of your 1895 lady as there are lots of births with his name.

Comment

Will follow your leads up Merry, thank you. As you have guessed I did not want to fall foul of the forum rules, just by chance I am talking of someone still living. ;)

Comment

Originally posted by LorraineJ View Post
                          Will follow your leads up Merry, thank you. As you have guessed I did not want to fall foul of the forum rules, just by chance I am talking of someone still living. ;)
                          I'd be amazed if she was!!! Generally we don't go in to details of people born after 1911.

Comment

Hi

without naming names there was a death of a gentleman with the same name as the 1917 birth who passed in 1993 in Hull maybe he was the son of the lady whose death your looking for. I would make a stab in the dark and purchase that cert to see who the informant may have been .

Maybe it was a family member who can give you the answers that you need.

In this game of family research we have to lift up many twigs to find the right one that fits our tree.
                            WendyP

Comment

Found the other child, despite the mother's maiden name in this incidence has been spelt with an H. Thanks Merry.

Comment

Looking for the death of the 1895 lady is probably going to be a very time consuming job, if you don't know what her name at death was nor what happened to her husband. I can't see that she died in Eng/Wales after 1983.

There are two people on GR with her details in their trees.

Comment

Originally posted by Merry Monty Montgomery View Post
                                  Looking for the death of the 1895 lady is probably going to be a very time consuming job, if you don't know what her name at death was nor what happened to her husband. I can't see that she died in Eng/Wales after 1983.

There are two people on GR with her details in their trees.
                                  I know the name of one of them and hope he responds to my message.

Comment

Claude! Zoe I'd forgotten about him.... Just cos he lives in Australia....:o

Comment

Working...
                                    X