Mystery Marriage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mystery Marriage

I have an undated newspaper cutting regarding the marriage of Charles Cole and Sophie Tucker in Doncaster. Charles’ age is given as 70 which, from previously gathered information, would date the cutting at around 1980. The problem arises as I do not know what names the marriage would have been registered under.
    When Charles died in 1986 it was registered under David Maxwell King. As for Sophie, who claimed to be the granddaughter of the Sophie Tucker, this too may not be her official name. My sub is to FMP and its marriage search facility is somewhat limited. Can anyone with access to Ancestry please come up with chapter and verse?

I checked 1981 first as his birthday was in Dec and it was the right thing to do! lol

1981 Q3
    Sophie J Tucker
    David Maxwell King (indexed under King and Maxwell King)
    Doncaster
    Volume 3
    Page 0690

Comment

Sounds ' iffy ' but the Sophi Tucker's real name was Sophie Kalish-Abuza at birth. She adopted the name Tucker from her first marriage to a man named Tuck. Two more marriages - Westphal and Lackey - all 3 ended in divorce. One son (Bert ) from the first marriage so this Sophie could be his granddaughter and your Sophie's real name might be Tuck. Probably no help but could be worth checking Bert Tuck/Tucker.

Comment

I'm obviously too young (or too ignorant!?) to know who THE Sophie Tucker was! lol

Anyway:

Deaths:
        Name: Sophie Joy Maxwell-King
        Birth Date: 13 Jan 1941
        Death Registration Month/Year: Jan 1991
        Age at death (estimated): 50
        Registration district: Blackpool and Fylde
        Inferred County: Lancashire
        Volume: 40
        Page: 660

I can't see a fitting Soph* J anything in 1941. No Soph* Tuck* either.

Comment

Originally posted by Merry Monty Montgomery View Post

I can't see a fitting Soph* J anything in 1941. No Soph* Tuck* either.
          Would that be because Sophie Joy was born in The States?

Comment

Morning Merry, Sophie Tucker was an entertainer known as the Red Hot Mamma & was a great act to see, have a Google!;)
            Vivienne passed away July 2013

Comment

Originally posted by Vivienne View Post
              Morning Merry, Sophie Tucker was an entertainer known as the Red Hot Mamma & was a great act to see, have a Google!;)
              Thanks Vivienne - I've just been googling - sounds like she had a very exciting life!

Comment

Thanks for your help, particularly Merry. A little more of the mystery has been solved. But why did I start this? Digging up one's own history is bad enough, but someone like David/Charles/Windy/Bobo....!:D

Comment

Working...
                X