Wills?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wills?

Where is the best place to look for wills. I need an index for my one-name study.
    I tried a2a by putting in Brewerton wills but it brings up random stuff.
    Many thanks
    Jeanie
    If it's to be, it's up to me.
    Searching for:
    English: Brewerton, Wilkes, Edwards, Broughton, Piercy, Brundred, Homer, Parry, Wynn, Nock, Noden, Standley and Taylor.

Scottish: McDougall,Gemmell, Hunter, Stewart, Campbell, Downs, Galt, Frew, Hill, Hand, Main, Thomson, McLarty and Murdock.

Here's a start from the National Archives Documents on Line facility:

The National Archives | DocumentsOnline | Search Results

The National Archives | DocumentsOnline | Search Results
    Elizabeth
    Research Interests:
    England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
    Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Many thanks Elizabeth,
      will look now.
      Searching for:
      English: Brewerton, Wilkes, Edwards, Broughton, Piercy, Brundred, Homer, Parry, Wynn, Nock, Noden, Standley and Taylor.

Scottish: McDougall,Gemmell, Hunter, Stewart, Campbell, Downs, Galt, Frew, Hill, Hand, Main, Thomson, McLarty and Murdock.

Comment

A2A is now defunct - it has merged with TNA and now brings up, as you stated, RUBBISH!

*Sobs - I LOVED A2A*

OC

Comment

Jeanie, some counties have their own separate online will indexes; usually the best way to find them is to google name of county and wills.
          KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
          (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

It's perfectly easy to search for wills on TNA, OC. Just use the quick search box here:

The National Archives | DocumentsOnline | Wills

Comment

Most counties don't have will indexes online, unfortunately.

For wills after 1858, when the TNA index ends, the FMP death duty index is a good starting point. It goes up to 1903. After that, you'll need the National Probate Calendar, which isn't online.

Comment

Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post
                It's perfectly easy to search for wills on TNA, OC. Just use the quick search box here:

The National Archives | DocumentsOnline | Wills
                That will only find the PCC wills, though, won't it, Mary? But there is also the catalogue for local archives which used to be accessed via A2A and is now searched on TNA, and lots of wills held by local archives are listed on there, and not on Documents Online.
                KiteRunner

Comment

If you look up each county in the Wiki I bet there will be various will indexes listed in there too.
                  KiteRunner

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                    A2A is now defunct - it has merged with TNA and now brings up, as you stated, RUBBISH!

*Sobs - I LOVED A2A*

OC
                    OC

you pointed me towards A2A many moons ago, have you found the A2A advanced search via TNA?

I still pull up all the same results as the old site using the advanced search..

The National Archives | Access to Archives
                    http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
                    My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
                    My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Originally posted by KiteRunner View Post
                      That will only find the PCC wills, though, won't it, Mary?
                      Yes, sorry, I always forget to say that.

But there is also the catalogue for local archives which used to be accessed via A2A and is now searched on TNA, and lots of wills held by local archives are listed on there, and not on Documents Online.
                      I can't say I've found many wills that way, although the occasional one has turned up.

Comment

I think what I find so annoying about the switch from A2A to TNA, is that on the old A2A you could practically read the whole of the Will in the description, particularly very old Wills. You also got those held in private collections which was nice and handy.

TNA seem to have done away with all but the two first lines - no doubt to make you buy it instead of having a free read.

You could try searching Lancashire REcords Office catalogue - they have a good few wills listed.

I just find TNA impossible to search. It makes no logical sense to me and I get lost and fed up!

OC

Comment

I just find TNA impossible to search. It makes no logical sense to me and I get lost and fed up!
                          Me too OC - I come out in a cold sweating just considering going onto that website.
                          Why oh why can't they make it more user friendly!:(

Comment

Several links on this Wiki page:

Wills and Probate - Family Tree Forum

Buckinghamshire and Gloucestershire Records Offices have online databases which are listed on the Wiki County pages.

Oxfordshire FHS has a collection of transcribed wills. There will be others, but these are ones I have used.

A search of Genuki for "wills databases" brought up all these references:

Search GENUKI plus

A search of our Wiki for "wills" brought up these references:

Search results - Family Tree Forum

Caroline
                            Caroline's Family History Pages
                            Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Jeanie, there is just one Brewerton will in the Surrey Wills Index:

Names Mentioned
                              Elizabeth
                              Research Interests:
                              England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
                              Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Many thanks to ever one for their input and suggestions.
                                Am busy for most of the day but will have a good look this evening.
                                Searching for:

Comment

Working...
                                X