Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Search for 2* Gt Grandfather William Yeo b. Abt 1826 London.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Search for 2* Gt Grandfather William Yeo b. Abt 1826 London.

Can anyone help me find the actual birth date and family of William Yeo?
    I have tracked him back to the 1841 Census where he was a 15 year old servant living at 12,Wilton Mews Westminster with a Charles Wilson. This is at the rear of Buckingham Palace and might have been Servants quarters for the palace or high status homes in the area?? At No 15 Wilton Mews is a George Yeo who I suspect is Williams brother, also a servant aged 21 who was living with a George Wilson and family.(some family connection?)
    I found Williams fathers name on his Marriage Certificate who was also named William and occupation Farmer, so I dont think he was originally from the City area. I suspect the family might have been from Devon but no proof as yet but there must be a reason why William went to Devon.
    Williams birth place described as Middlesex (1841Census); London (1861) and I found a William Yeo on 1851 Census living in Devon but born in Bow, Middlesex but age does not match the birth date of Abt 1826/7. He is a little inconcistent about his age in Census's but His marriage and Death Certificates show his birth around this date. It could well be my William as he had to be in Devon around this time to meet and court his future wife Elizabeth from Barnstaple as they married in June 1854 in Exeter.
    I have bought the S&N London Parish Registers Vol 4 but no Yeo's appear in the Baptism's which include Bow area. I am running out of ideas and money chasing this man, so if anyone has any suggestions or information, I would be very gratefull.
    Mike Billenness

Middlesex covered a wide area, not just Westminster and the City, so its a tricky one.

Have you looked to find other Yeos born in Middlesex to see if they were family members?

It's true Yeo is a west country name and its also true that ancestors like to be vague about their ages and their birthplaces.

I will have a scout round to see if I can find anything.

I would also imagine that the Wilton Mews inhabitants were servants for the houses in Upper Belgrave Street as the Mews was immediately behind, or an adjacent street.
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Hi Mike, welcome to FTF.
      There are a few William Yeo's to check on "familysearch.org"

Comment

Originally posted by AlanC View Post
        Hi Mike, welcome to FTF.
        There are a few William Yeo's to check on "familysearch.org"
        I looked on the IGI earlier and didn't see any that came close
        ~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

Hi Mike.
          I have Yeo ancestors as well, from the Barnstaple area of Devon.
          There is a great Yeo one-name-study website: The Yeo Society
          Click on the Resources tab for BMDs, parish register extracts, wills, censuses, etc.
          Last edited by Cloggie; 25-04-09, 17:59.
          Sarah

Comment

Thanks Sarah (Cloggie) for the lead, I didn't know the Yeo site existed . Had a look yesterday but still no real progress, will pursue their records and contacts.

regards Mike B.
            Last edited by Guest; 28-04-09, 11:17. Reason: left out reply name

Comment

Originally posted by Rachel Scand View Post
              I looked on the IGI earlier and didn't see any that came close
              Thanks Rachel and Alan for your suggestion, I have covered IGI. etc but no luck.
              Mike B.

Comment

Originally posted by Little Nell View Post
                Middlesex covered a wide area, not just Westminster and the City, so its a tricky one.

Have you looked to find other Yeos born in Middlesex to see if they were family members?

It's true Yeo is a west country name and its also true that ancestors like to be vague about their ages and their birthplaces.

I will have a scout round to see if I can find anything.

I would also imagine that the Wilton Mews inhabitants were servants for the houses in Upper Belgrave Street as the Mews was immediately behind, or an adjacent street.
                Thanks Little Nell,
                It is very frustrating with ancestors like these, I have been at my Billenness Tree for 3.5 years and have had a few of these charactors to track down. You have to be like a dog with a bone and gnaw away. Long term it usualy pays off but all my cases are now very difficult to solve, as I've hit a few apparent brick walls.
                In case anyone is interested, The Billenness Line originated in Wartling, East Sussex around 1707 and we believe James was either a Heugenot refugee or A Smuggler from Europe;( perhaps Dutch or French) but unfortunately have not got back any further.
                It is nice to know people are there to help each other in this day and age, I have had help from a lot of people who invest their time and resources in my project.
                cheers

Mike B

Comment

Hi Mike,

It might be worth looking at the the Biographies section on the Yeo site. You never know.

Do you think there may be a Barnstaple connection with William's wife Elizabeth being from there? If so, this is my Yeo line, also from Barnstaple: Richard Yeo & Petronella Tossell Don't take everything on that page as fact though - I have spotted a few mistakes.

Billenness doesn't sound like a Dutch name, but the spelling could have changed of course. Looking at Database of Surnames in the Netherlands, searching for any names starting with "bill", the closest Dutch surnames I can find are Billekens and Billing.
                  Last edited by Cloggie; 28-04-09, 12:14.
                  Sarah

Comment

Working...
                  X