I have the following family in 1881

Nichol BEEBY Head M Male 45 Holme Low, Cumberland Railway Laborer
    Margaret BEEBY Wife M Female 35 Aikton, Cumberland
    Alexander BEEBY Son U Male 13 Oulton, Cumberland Scholar
    Robert BEEBY Son U Male 7 Westward, Cumberland Scholar
    Sarah Jane BEEBY Daughter U Female 5 Westward, Cumberland Scholar
    Mary BEEBY Daughter U Female 3 Oulton, Cumberland Scholar

Living at Oulton, Cumberland

I have looked at the image and I think Nichol should read Michael so I tried to find them in 1871. I have tried all combinations - soundex etc,
    without success.

Can anyone else find them for me please?
    Lynne

Searching for Ford, Duffy, (Manchester and Ireland) Cree (Manchester, Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire), Owen (Manchester), Humphreys (Manchester and Ireland), Egerton (Manchester and Cheshire), Cresswell (Manchester).

hi Lynne - sorry but can't help with the above

but .... was Michael Beeby a servant when he was younger?

Local News Items (5) - Wigton Petty Sessions - Cumberland and Westmorland Newspaper Transcriptions
    Last edited by LeicestershireLass; 25-04-09, 14:42.
    Don't put off until tomorrow what you can do today ~ follow your dream!

Comment

There is a marriage for Nichol Beeby Dec qtr 1871 Wigton, Cumberland and there is a Margaret Cowen is also on the same page. Could this be yours?
      Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Hi LL
        I have no idea what his occupation was before 1881 when he was a railway labourer. However, he was would have been about 8 years old at the time of the incident on your link. Thanks for the info anyway, it made me laugh!
        Lynne

Searching for Ford, Duffy, (Manchester and Ireland) Cree (Manchester, Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire), Owen (Manchester), Humphreys (Manchester and Ireland), Egerton (Manchester and Cheshire), Cresswell (Manchester).

Comment

1871 census has a Nichol Beeby Servant although his dob is out.

RG10; Piece: 5229; Folio: 28; Page: 4
          Wendy

Comment

Hi Wendy
            It is quite possible that is their marriage but I cannot be sure unless I find them in 1871. (This is not my own family, I am doing it for a friend so do not want to spend too much money on certificates).
            Thanks for your input.

Update:

I have found the births of all the children apart from Alexander so would like to confirm his name by finding them in 1871.
            Last edited by Granny Lynne; 25-04-09, 14:58. Reason: addition
            Lynne

Comment

Yes, I found that one too Wendy but he is much too young. I'm just looking at a Nicholas Beeby born 1837.

UPDATE:

I am now thinking it could be Nicholas (not necessarily the one above) as I have just realised, Sarah Jane had an illegitimate child names Nicholas.
              Last edited by Granny Lynne; 25-04-09, 15:03.
              Lynne

Comment

1871 Census there is a Margaret Cowen born 1839 with son Alexander aged 6. Ages are out but we know how people lied about their ages!!!!

RG10; Piece: 5258; Folio: 20; Page: 9; GSU roll: 847450.
                Wendy

Comment

Nicholas Beebyborn 1837 Newtown, Cumberland.Servant

RG10
                  ; Piece: 5229; Folio: 41; Page: 29; GSU roll: 847442.
                  Wendy

Comment

Thanks Wendy, the plot thickens, I will take a look at that one. It is possible the Nicholas above is Nichol in 1881 and they married later than I thought.
                    Lynne

Comment

Wendy
                      How do I search by the refs above please, I have never done it that way.
                      Lynne

Comment

There are boxes at the bottom of the search info. Choose the year you want to search and then put those numbers in the correct boxes.
                        Wendy

Comment

Wendy, I just tried that without the last number as there was no box for it and I got lots and lots of names.
                          As for Margaret and Alexander, I have found a birth for Alexander Cowen at the right time so it looks like you are correct.
                          thank you once again for all your help.
                          Lynne

Comment

Working...
                          X