GR Unknown Mary 93 hot matches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GR Unknown Mary 93 hot matches

had to laugh got a email saying they have a match for my unknown Mary ????

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
    had to laugh got a email saying they have a match for my unknown Mary ????
    Well they're probably connected to mine!
    Margaret

Comment

and mine ...........lol

hey Val - perhaps we're related
      ;)
      Don't put off until tomorrow what you can do today ~ follow your dream!

Comment

daft arent they ???

Comment

To be honest Val, I may be cutting off my nose to spite my face (what a lovely expression!), but I've stopped Hot Matches. I'm reasonably along with my tree and don't want to know about a vague first name match, or even a surname, when we could be talking from John o' Groats to Lands End. I'll always reply, but usually have nowt to offer as the 'match' is way out.

Gwyn
          Freya - a lovely, funny human-friendly disaster waiting to happen....

Comment

oh how I agree Gwyn I dont even bother to go to GR when I get hot matches anyway just thought it was funny.

Comment

I had something similar a while back. It is daft - but I do get the odd useful connection from time to time.

Christine
              Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I don't do them any more, either. Many that came up were people I'd already had contact with, and most were just too vague. I do a search from time to time to see if there are any interesting new matches, or if I've found a new name to pursue.

Comment

I had about 20 matches for my mother mother recently! I hardly bother these days as most times it is Noble for Australia when my Noble is Northants, same date just different country! They really are a waste of space as far as I am concerned, though no doubt some find them useful! I do agree that the further on you are with your own tree the less interested I become.

Yes I agree, I do a search occasionally to see if anything comes up matching my own.

Janet
                  Last edited by Janet; 22-11-11, 09:43.

Comment

I once had over 100 for plain and simple "unknown". I no longer bother to look, and trust that if there is a startling match then the other person will get in touch with me. I don't feel that this is lazy, because to me it is a total waste of time trawling through all the rubbish in the hope of finding one good match.
                    Sally - Researching amongst others, JOSEPHY; WRIGHTSON; COOPER; GLOVER; DOWNING AND DICKINSON.

Comment

Sally

Doesn't work though - just after I let my GR membership lapse, (two years ago) I started getting HMs with one person. We now have over 100 HMs in common and there is no doubt we have the same family.

I wait in vain for her to contact me!

OC

Comment

I agree OC it does not always work that way but I have to say since I left GR everybody contacts me, I have not needed to contact so far! Sometimes though somebody contacting me has been a double edged sword!

Janet

Comment

Originally posted by sally View Post
                          I once had over 100 for plain and simple "unknown".
                          which is one of the reasons I never use Unknown as a surname. If I find a wife in a census I call her Mary (Jones), so I know who she belongs with. And in the rare case where I have an unknown male surname, I use a capital A, B and so on.
                          Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

I find a bit of random punctuation stops all the Not Matches for (usually female) Unknowns.

Comment

I too cancelled Hot Matches with GR ages ago, it got me so frustrated going through all the rubbish they sent.
                              Stella passed away December 2014

Comment

I even get HM's for no-one in my tree - so why have they hotmatched me????

It says someone in Fred Bloggs tree matches their John Smith with your David Jones - I just don't understand it.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

UJ

I call her Mary (Mrs Jones) but unfortunately, other people do this too!

Janet

Oh yes, a double-edged sword all right! The vast majority of my contacts are from enthusiastic beginners who are convinced that there was only one John Green ever born.

However, I do have to admit to sending out long shots on my mystery man and increasingly ignoring the restraints of the facts!

This is/was pure desperation on my part - didn't work, just irritated people who knew anything about their man and drew equal desperation from those who knew nothing but assumed I could tell them!

I'm sure HMs are a good idea - but only as an idea.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by JBee View Post
                                    I even get HM's for no-one in my tree - so why have they hotmatched me????

It says someone in Fred Bloggs tree matches their John Smith with your David Jones - I just don't understand it.
                                    That seems to happen if you or the other person has loaded a new tree after the Hot Match search was done.
                                    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Well it wasn't me - I haven't messed with anything on GR lately.

and none of the HM's refer to any names on my tree - so can't understand how there can be any sort of match.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

I had about 20 matches for my mother mother recently! I hardly bother these days as most times it is William Noble for Australia when my William Noble is Northants, same date just different country!
                                        Janet, I've often wondered why they include HM's with such different place names.

If they discounted those then I wouldn't have to trawl through so many just to have to delete them.

I have to add though, that I have had a few great contacts who have furnished me with photo's and info; we have been most grateful for those, and I have been able to help them out too.

Comment

Working...
                                        X