Query re birth reg. page number

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Query re birth reg. page number

Can anyone tell me if there is any significance to the fact that there is a letter a after the page no. on a birth reg please.
    ie: Jun Qtr Wigton 10b 656a
    Does it mean there was another child born to the same family or is there some other explanation.
    Any advice welcome.
    Thanks in advance.
    Lynne

Searching for Ford, Duffy, (Manchester and Ireland) Cree (Manchester, Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire), Owen (Manchester), Humphreys (Manchester and Ireland), Egerton (Manchester and Cheshire), Cresswell (Manchester).

No I don't think so I think they were just running out of number sequences for that period and area.

A lot of London refs have letters.

Comment

Thanks Maggie, I thought it may mean twins. I can stop looking for another child then.
      Lynne

Searching for Ford, Duffy, (Manchester and Ireland) Cree (Manchester, Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire), Owen (Manchester), Humphreys (Manchester and Ireland), Egerton (Manchester and Cheshire), Cresswell (Manchester).

Comment

Usually it means an amendment of some sort, but as there are no numbers/letters following the a, perhaps not?

OC

Comment

Thanks OC too.
          Lynne

Comment

I have just transcribed some births and one of the entries I had handwritten at the end was the same as one already in the index apart from an a on the end of the number, and the first name had been changed from Ellen to Eileen.

I don't know why but perhaps it means that the information has been changed at a later date.
            Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Hi Wendy
              I have looked at the page and the record is typed right in the middle of the list, not hand written at the end.
              Lynne

Comment

Working...
              X