Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What surname for a lady after two divorces?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What surname for a lady after two divorces?

I don't want this to be picked up by google, so will call the lady Selina.

Selina Smith was born in 1885. In 1907 she married Mr Jones.

They divorced and in 1925 she married Mr Bloggs. The marriage entry says Mr Bloggs married someone with the surname Smith or Jones. (so gave both her maiden name and her married name).

I know Selina and Mr Bloggs divorced in 1930 and Selina died in 1962.

However, in the death indexes she is Selina Jones so has gone back to her first married name.

Was this usual?

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

I have found three cases on TNA.

Firstly she tried to gain a divorce from Mr Jones in 1921. Then he tried to get a divorce in 1925. Then she got the divorce from Mr Bloggs in 1930.

Context : quick reference
    J Records of the Supreme Court of Judicature and related courts
    Division within J Records of the Family Division and predecessors
    J 77 Court for Divorce and Matrimonial Causes, later Supreme Court of Judicature: Divorce and Matrimonial Causes Files
    Subseries within J 77
    J 77/1782

Record Summary
    Scope and content Divorce Court File: 5599. Appellant: Selina Smith. Respondent: Mr Jones. Type: Wife's petition for judicial separation [wjs].
    Covering dates 1921
    Availability Open Document, Open Description, Normal Closure before FOI Act: 30 years
    Held by The National Archives, Kew
    Can I get copies of these?

How much will they cost?

What will they tell me?

Thanks for looking.

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

Comment

You haven't said whether she had children. If she had children with Mr Jones, then she would want to be known as Mrs Jones, the children's mother, I suppose.

Or perhaps she hated Mr Bloggs more than she hated Mr Jones, lol!

I still use my married name although I have been divorced for 20 years. It is the surname of my children and just makes life easier, as everyone calls me Mrs (children's surname) anyway! Also, I'm too lazy to go through the faff of informing everyone.

OC

Comment

Yes OC, she did have children with Mr Jones but didn't have any with Mr Bloggs.

I wouldn't have thought she would have liked Mr Jones though as she tried to divorce him and then he divorced her when the co-defendent was her next husband.

Thanks for your comments though, I did think to myself that she could call herself whatever she wanted though.

Comment

That'll be it then Tom, she wanted the same surname as her children - it's so much easier and it also means you don't have to explain awkward things to strangers!

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Tom View Post
            Can I get copies of these?

How much will they cost?
            If you click on Request this, you can ask for an estimate.

What will they tell me?
            No idea, sorry.

Comment

Why didn't I see that Mary? :o

Thanks, I will put a request for a quote in tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post
                If you click on Request this, you can ask for an estimate.
                I did this a few weeks ago. I was impatient at first and got the first 8 pages via the digital express which cost £8.50 and then after getting an estimate to post the remaining 10 pages I got the rest at a cost of about £5. So depending on how big the document is I would think it would cost around £10. But as said above they send you an estimate before you purchase it. Hth

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Tom View Post
                  What will they tell me?
                  Tom the divorce papers I got from TNA is for 1937.

There's 16 pages which includes, copy of their marriage cert, petitions which gave details of the woman's adultery with her husbands brother names & DOB's for the children, addresses, dates at court, fees paid etc.

I did was Dizzy did so would get an estimate first & pay one amount rather than two.
                  Jay

Comment

Working...
                  X