A rather freaky coincidence!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A rather freaky coincidence!

I have recently been looking into the family of my 4x great grandfather's second wife. They are very interesting and full of Gentlemen, Lieutenants, Barontets etc.

Tracing forwards on this family, one of the names rang a bell, and I realised that I already had this person in my tree as they married my first cousin three times removed on a different line!

So, the connection is through my dad's dad's dad's mum's mum's dad, and through my dad's dad's mum's cousin.

Have you found any strange coincidences in your tree?

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

When started on OH tree a few years ago his uncle said that there were two lots of Boyles - one from Greenock other from Renfrew.
    Following the family back it turns out they were infact brothers who went two separate ways.
    Jayne

My avatar is great great granny Annie Pugh, possibly christened 24 Feb 1858.

Comment

Not as good as yours, Tom, but.......

One of my Marshall ladies married a Joseph Tyler who I thought was her first cousin and who lived two houses away from her in the year before her marriage. However, when further censuses were released it became clear that she had married a different Joseph Tyler who was her third or fourth (I've forgotten) cousin once removed and lived four counties away from the place she grew up.

I presume this wasn't a coincidence at all - just not what I expected!

Comment

I will apologise for the writing, but I wasn't sure how to do it on the computer, but this might give you some sort of idea.

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

Comment

Ten out of ten for neat writing, young Tom.
          Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

My daughter and her fiance are, I discovered half 7th cousins.

Naughty 6 x great grandad was servicing two different women at the same time. One he was married to and one he wasn't. :D

Comment

My paternal gps were 6th cousins & the same gf had 2xg-gps who were 2nd cousins.
              Glen

Comment

I think my maternal grandmother and paternal grandfather are 7th cousins, but I cannot make the final link to connect it all back together. Same surname, same village just a missing generation.

Comment

I was impressed to find a triple link in OH's tree, to Joseph CHAPMAN and Mary née STENLAKE, who are OH's Gx4 or Gx5-g-parents, depending on which route you take.

Their 3rd child was Martyn (m Margaret HEYSETT): daughter Elizabeth married Richard BALSDON: daughter Mary BALSDON m John CHAPMAN (b 1805)

Their 6th child was Mary who married Joseph BAILEY: daughter Ann married William HORN: daughter Mary Ann HORN married William HOLE/HALL: daughter Ann HALL m John CHAPMAN (b 1838)

Their 8th child was Joseph (2nd wife = Susannah ODAM): son John CHAPMAN (b 1805) m Mary BALSDON: their son John CHAPMAN (b 1838) m Ann HALL.

Christine
                  Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

:o My mum's grandparents were 1st cousins once removed :o That explains a lot :D :D
                    Jay

Comment

My 4g grandfather and my 5g grandfather on my mum's side are one and the same.

I was looking at an online tree for my OH's family a few weeks ago and thought that name looks familiar. Checked my tree and now have marriages for 3 daughters of one family I couldn't marry or kill off previously.
                      Kit

Comment

Working...
                      X