1851-1871 Lookups, please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1851-1871 Lookups, please

Thomas Elson (Ellson) b1825 and his wife Matilda b1827 - both born Bulkington Warwickshire.

Thomas's occupation on marriage cert = labourer.
    Matilda's occupation = weaver

In 1849 they were living at Ryton, Warks

I'd appreciate census info about the above couple e.g. where living, occupations, children etc.

Thanks
    Don't put off until tomorrow what you can do today ~ follow your dream!

In 1851...........still in Ryton with 1 year old son John
    Source Citation: Class: HO107; Piece: 2065; Folio: 406; Page: 16; GSU roll: 87324-87325

In 1871............still Ryton with a few more children...John 15, Thomas 13, Matilda 11, Rosa 8 and Annie 6
    Source Citation: Class: RG10; Piece: 3168; Folio: 43; Page: 20; GSU roll: 839241.

In both census Thomas an Ag Lab whislt wife a weaver.

Last edited by AlanC; 24-04-09, 16:36. Reason: more info.

Comment

Whilst looking, I came accross death reg of a Matilda Elson age abt 57 in 4th Qtr 1885 reference Coventry 6d/271.

Comment

I've also had a look, and I can't find them in 1861. However, the parish register contains this note:

On Thursday, Aug 15th, 1861, six families comprising 27 members left for Quebec, Canada, in consequence of the continued depression of the Ribbon trade, viz. Thomas Randle, senr., Thomas Randle, junr., Jonathan Randle, William Adler, John Wiles and Samuel Barratt with their families. At the same time 83 houses were vacant in the parish. Robert Potter, Vicar.
        So maybe they moved elsewhere looking for work, and returned when things were better.

Comment

In 1861 Thomas is a lodger at 7 Chapel Yard Holy Trinity, Coventry working as a Waggoner,......shows up as married aged 35.

Source Citation: Class: RG9; Piece: 2206; Folio: 73; Page: 39; GSU roll: 542935.

Comment

Thanks very much Alan and Mary for all the info

Comment

By the way, I have a Thomas Elson marrying a Mary Slingsby in Bulkington in 1790 if you're interested.

Comment

Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post
                By the way, I have a Thomas Elson marrying a Mary Slingsby in Bulkington in 1790 if you're interested.
                Hi Mary - not sure! Only just started researching this family ... are they related to the Thomas that married Matilda?

Comment

No idea, it doesn't give much information in parish registers. All I have is the dates of the banns of marriage between those two. I mentioned it in case he turns out to be related to the Thomas who married Matilda.

Comment

Working...
                  X