WW1 army records, help needed to understand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WW1 army records, help needed to understand

Hi All, I have my grandfather's army records, among them is a Casualty Form. It is quite legible but the trouble is I don't understand the abbreviations etc. Can anyone help and if help is available how do I put the form on here? Cheers, Moiramary

'The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.' Bertrand Russel.

If you post up the ones you don't understand, then there may well be folks here who can help - or who can steer you to the right place to ask.

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Her is the document.. I hope!

I am posting the document in the hope that someone may be able to enlighten me as to some of the abbreviations.
      I hope it can be read, I used photobucket and I'm not sure if that is the best way for a document. Lord, I'm rambling aren't I! Cheers, Moira.

Comment

For all abbreviations, check these interpretations make sense in context.

Fld Amblce = Field Ambulance
        RA = Royal Artillery (usually)
        GHQ = General Head Quarters
        M G Coy = machine gun company (?)
        BEF = British Expeditionary Force
        Divl = Divisional
        FAWU = Field Artillery (?)Works Unit

You've got lots of dates there. If you're from Lincoln in England, then you'll know to interpret them as dd/mm/yy. You've also got the mother's name and address as NoK.

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Also his Army number and rank of Corporal.
          Was he a 'Medic' of some kind............his postings were to Field Ambulance Depots
          Last edited by AlanC; 24-04-09, 17:51.

Comment

Originally posted by AlanC View Post
            Was he a 'Medic' of some kind............his postings were to Field Ambulance Depots
            He was A.S.C. (Army Service Corps), so not a medic. It was the ASC that kept the army running in all sorts of ways. The 'M' prefix to his number I think denotes Mechanical Transport, so he would have been occupied with the transports involved in Field Ambulance.

Comment

Hi Alan and Christine, Thank you so much for your (very quick) help. My grandfather started his war as a despatch rider in the front line and thereafter drove field ambulances. There were were actually fourteen pages to his record (boy was I excited!) but several were blank and some were unreadable. The above page seemed to give quite a lot of information and was legible. I have a photo of him with his field ambulance. Do you think it would be of use anywhere on the site? Thanks once again, Moiramary.

Comment

I cant really answer about it's usefulness to The Site unless FTF has WW1 as a future subject in its' magazine.

Comment

You could post it on the Great War Forum - they might be able to tell you a bit more.

Comment

A photo of grandad with his field ambulance, yes please!!

Comment

James and his ambulance

Hi Barbara, here is my Granda James with his field ambulance. It looks like a rough ride for the poor injured doesn't it. Cheers, Moiramary.

Comment

What a super photograph, my grandad was badly wounded on the 1st day of the battle of the Somme, he must have been transported in something like that. Have you read about the ambulances evacuating the men, your grandad would have been a bit of a hero.

Comment

Hi Barbara, Where can I read about the ambulances evacuating the soldiers? I would me very interested. Like a lot of men Granda didn't talk about his part in the war. My own Dad was the same about his experience in WW2. Cheers, Moiramary.

Comment

Hi Blackberry, Thanks for the tip. I've had a quick look at the site and it looks really interesting. Cheers, Moiramary.

Comment

Love the photo

have a look at this link, it does give info on what the ASC did during WW1,and also the Royakl Army Medical Corp. You can also look at the definition of a Field Ambulance.

The Army Service Corps of 1914-1918

Loads of info on here re the First World War, what they went through does not bear thinking about.

George
                              Researching Drury, Tinley, Watson, Pavier. Mainly Nottinghamshire

Comment

The best place to start for anyone wanting to read up about what their ancestors did in ww1, is to start with "The long, long trail" website. It's huge and has all this type of information........;)

Comment

Thanks Barbara and Hydyn. I do like to get background info on work etc to help me understand my family's past, the above site should certainly give me plenty to get my teeth into. Cheers, Moiramary.

Comment

Working...
                                  X