Back to the Flowers ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back to the Flowers ...

Today I received the marriage cert of Matilda Flowers and Thomas Ellson who married at Bulkington, Warks in 1849. Both living at Ryton at the time of marriage.

According to the MC, Matilda's father was Richard Flowers, Weaver.

In 1841 Matilda (born c1825) is living at Ryton / parish of Bulkington with Richard Flowers aged 75 (born c1766) Weaver. Initially I thought he may be her grandfather.

Richard had 2 sons Wm and John, so have discounted them as being Matilda's father.

I've looked on IGI and whilst there were christenings at Bulkington c1766 there's not one listed for Richard Flowers, however there is a Richard Flowers christened at Stoneleigh, Warks 5 Apr 1764 (parents; John Flowers and Sarah Waitman)

............. do you think this is the same Richard as the one on the 1841 census and father of Matilda?

I was hoping to receive marriage cert of Selina Flowers today too, to see who her father was, but unfortunately it hasn't arrived yet (she's with Matilda in 1841 too)
    Don't put off until tomorrow what you can do today ~ follow your dream!

75+ as an age in 1841 gives you 1761-1766 as a birth-year range.

Looking on Google Maps: Bulkington and Stoneleigh are roughly the same distance from the middle of Coventry, but on opposite sides. Bulkington is ca 4.5 NNE, and Stoneleigh is ca 3.5 miles South. Coventry wouldn't have presented such a big barrier then as it does now.

The IGI doesn't have 100% coverage. Unless you can find some other links to tie the two together, I'd be very wary of relying on that result, especially as FLOWERS is not an uncommon name in that area. That's not to say you don't make a note of it: people did move around in search of work - sometimes by astonishing distances, far bigger than that.

Christine
    Last edited by Christine in Herts; 24-04-09, 14:53.
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

thanks for your logic Christine ....
      Don't put off until tomorrow what you can do today ~ follow your dream!

Comment

Working...
      X