Prisoner of War at Besona, 1812

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prisoner of War at Besona, 1812

Valley kindly looked up the Trinity House Petitions Index, and found a claim by Mary Brasell, wife of Thomas, who was listed as "prisoner of war at Besona" as her claim in 1812.

So I have sent off to ask SOG if they can send me a copy of the petition, etc.

But where was Besona - was it to do with the Peninsula War, or the War with America ? I could quietly wait until SOG gets back to me, and sends it to me, but I am excited and curious, I want to find out more NOW !

If he was a Prisoner of War in 1812, he was back home in London before 1815 when his son was baptised !! It certainly explains the long gap between the births of his chidren.

Di
    Diane
    Sydney Australia
    Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

In 1811 there was some kind of naval engagement against the french colony in Madagascar and Besona is in Madagascar, don't know if this is any help...

Comment

Thanks Barbara

That looks like it - the French captured two East India ships in 1810.

Madagascar went back and forwards between the French and British for several years. I hope the petition shows which ship he was on, then I can follow its fate through the Mauritius Campaign of 1809-1811.

Di
      Last edited by dicole; 25-04-09, 00:19.
      Diane
      Sydney Australia
      Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

Di, I've been reading up on the campaign, looks very interesting, good luck....;)

Comment

Working...
        X