Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help wanted with search please!!

Hi All,

I am researching my German ancestors and I have noticed on the 1891 census it has under where born - Germany, British Subject. I have tried to search the National Archives database for her name: Mary S Wilmes but it doesn't seem to have any records available. Is there a way I can do a wild card search? I was planning to visit Kew in the next couple of weeks but feel there will be no need if the records are not there.

Kind regards,

Julia

Hi Julia, and welcome to FTF.

What records were you hoping to find at Kew? They do have some naturalisation records, but a British subject born abroad wouldn't need to be naturalised.

You could try searching the overseas BMDs on findmypast.com to see if you can find her birth.

Comment

Hi Julia,
      Welcome to the Site. I couldnt find her in 1891 Census to check her age or other detail.
      Perhaps contact with the British Embassy in Berlin where they should have information on Brits visiting the country.

Comment

Hi Mary, Hi Alan,

thank you for your replies - I can now see that I haven't given you enough information really so I hope this helps. Maria or Mary has the second name of Hearn in the 1891 census and she is living in Chorlton upon Medlock with her husband Walter and two children. She also has German parents, Elisabeth and Adam Wilmes - would this mean that she still wouldn't need to have naturalisation records?

Thank you once again,

Julia

Comment

If she was born in Germany but classed as a British Subject which is what it says on the 1891 census it means she is British but would be registered as born abroad and you would look on Findmypast for Overseas births for her.
          It usually means the parents were British or at least the father I think.
          Margaret
          PS being British already she wouldn't need to be Naturalised.

Comment

How do you know her parents are German?
            Margaret

Comment

Just had a look on the 1881 census and see both parents listed as born in Essen Germany. Perhaps Maria was included on her father's naturalisation or if he was naturalised she was automatically so.
              Margaret

Comment

And then there is the other possibility - she lied! Many foreign born people did lie, it was a lot easier.

However, if she married a British man, she automatically took British citizenship.

OC

Comment

In the 1881 census it says all three of them were born in Assen, Germany.

In 1891 Elizabeth's a widow, and it says she was born in Germany, not naturalised.

Comment

Ooh thank you - I see now that if Adam Wilmes or Elizabeth Wilmes are not on the database at the National Archives then they probably never became naturalised! Very interesting stuff. I have tried to contact the holder of a tree from Germany on Ancestry who has a Johannes Adam Wilmes as an ancestor but with no luck so far. I have the marriage certificate for Mary and Walter Hearn which states that her father, Adam Wilmes is deceased. I am also in contact with a couple of other ancestors of the Hearn/Wilmes who have found information on the death of Adam Wilmes and the whereabouts for Elizabeth Wilmes too. Maybe I will just have to be satisfied that this is as far as I can go - I have included some things from the IGI Search engine but as this is not a primary source I am a bit dubious.

Thank you once again,

Julia

Comment

Just as a matter of interest, Walter shows living in Chorlton on 1911 census. It's a pay by credits site "1911census.co.uk"

Comment

And Mary Hearn born Germany's in the same household.

Comment

Yes I see my great grandmother Emma is present too. I have tried to google these place names in Germany but with no luck - do you think the spellings are correct? did the 1911 census get filled in by the household members or an official?

Comment

It clearly says Assen on the 1881 census, but I don't think there's a place of that name (although my German geography isn't very good). There's a big city called Essen in Germany, which may be what they mean:

Essen - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

or it might be the state of Hesse:

Hesse - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The householder was supposed to fill in the 1911 census form (if they were literate).
                            If you buy the census image, you can see who filled it in, and their signature.
                            Last edited by Mary from Italy; 23-04-09, 20:35.

Comment

Don't know German geography, but I HAVE heard of Essen!

Householders filled in the schedules themselves in 1911, so the spelling is their own.

OC

Comment

Another place where you can find naturalisations is the Gazette:

Advanced Search

but I can't see Adam there, so probably none of them were naturalised, and Mary acquired British citizenship by marriage.

Comment

Thank you for all the information - I am now going to read up on the places in Germany that you've all mentioned!

Julia

Comment

There's an Assen in Holland, about 50 km from the German border.
                                    Sarah

Comment

Looking at Directory of Cities and Towns in World I have just found an Assen in Germany.
                                      It's in Nordrhein-Westfalen: Maps, Weather, and Airports for Assen, Germany
                                      Sarah

Comment

Thank you Sarah - this also fits with the details on the LDS IGI index as it shows an Adam Wilmes married Elisabeth Halbe in Westfalen Preussen in 1858!

Comment

Working...
                                        X