Looking for info on great great grandparents

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for info on great great grandparents

I'm trying to find information on Wills Murdock, born 26/Jan/1829 at Hill Hall, County Down, Ireland and his wife Mary Ann Dawson born 13/Jan/1828 at Lisburn, County Antrim, Ireland. They were married 20/Feb/1851 in Lisburn Cathedral, Ireland. 3 years later, on 16/July/1854, they sailed from Liverpool with 2 children , Isabella Lillian (24/Dec/1851) and Eliza (3/Jan/1854) for New York. The baby died at sea. They moved to Indiana Canada where they lived until death. I can find no info on who their parents or siblings were. I just came back from a trip to Canada and was able to glean this much info from the archives, which was exciting.
    Any help you can provide would be appreciated
    Thanks
    Charlotte aka Wawarussell
    USA

The Belfast News Monday March 3rd 1851
    Marriages
    On the 3rd February at Lisburn Cathedral by the very Reverend The Dean of Ross, Mr Wills Murdoch 3rd son of the late Wills Murdoch of Hill Hall to Mary Ann only daughtr of the late Mr Joseph Dawson Bow Street Lisburn.
    Last edited by quoy; 23-04-09, 19:29. Reason: punctuation

Comment

great great grandparents

Boy you are really johnny on the spot with this information. Thanks so much. Is there anyway we can find out more about their families, ie births, deaths, siblings etc. Also could you tell me how you gained the info that you did? I just started doing research in Nov. and don't know all the ways to track down the information.
      Thanks again
      Charlotte

Comment

A possible connection?:

from Co. Down Ireland Genealogy Research Site
        Joseph DAWSON, of Blaris, left a will in 1836; executor was J. Hodgin of Lisburn.
        (Blaris is a parish and townland; Lisburn is in Blaris parish.)

And from http://www.raymondscountydownwebsite.com/
        County Down Land Deeds in 1876:
        Wm. John Murdock, address Hill Hall, Lisburn, owned 1 acre.
        Last edited by Cloggie; 24-04-09, 06:28.
        Sarah

Comment

from the Ireland Civil Registration Indexes at FamilySearch Record Search

Your Wills Murdock's marriage:

Name: Wills Murdock
          Registration district: Lisburn
          Record type: MARRIAGES
          Registration date - quarter and year: 1851
          Film number: 101243
          Volume: 6
          Page: 656
          Digital GS number: 4195889
          Image number: 00196
          Collection: Ireland, Civil Registration Indexes 1845-1958

another Wills Murdoch:

Name: Wills John Murdoch
          Registration district: Belfast
          Record type: DEATHS
          Registration date - quarter and year: Oct - Dec 1903
          Estimated birth year: 1857
          Film number: 101602
          Volume: 1
          Page: 199
          Digital GS number: 4201706
          Image number: 00220
          Collection: Ireland, Civil Registration Indexes 1845-1958
          Sarah

Comment

Here's a forum I have used and know that several people on there have street directories and the like for look ups and they are also very clued up about research in Northern Ireland
            Belfast Forum - belfast chat | belfast history | belfast restuarants | things to do in belfast - Belfast Forum
            Margaret

Comment

There is also this site for gravestone inscriptions
              https://brs2.brssystems.com/~uhf/ind...?inscriptiondb

Comment

Here's a couple more sites one for the 1911 census for NI and the other has some of the 1901 transcribed.
                National Archives

http://www.belfastfamilyhistory.com
                /

Margaret

Comment

PRONI has some Murdoch and Dawson wills: Will calendar search | Public Record Office of Northern Ireland
                  Sarah

Comment

The Belfast News is one of the papers included in the Gale 19thC newspaper data base.

Some UK libraries offer this to people who live outside the UK, but I've forgotten which ones do. I expect someone else will know.

Comment

Originally posted by Merry Monty Montgomery View Post
                      The Belfast News is one of the papers included in the Gale 19thC newspaper data base.

Some UK libraries offer this to people who live outside the UK, but I've forgotten which ones do. I expect someone else will know.
                      Lancashire Libraries don't seem to care where you live and they have Gales available.
                      Margaret

Comment

go to home
                        click libraries
                        left hand side click online reference library
                        right hand side click How can I join Lancashire Library
                        opens new window join on line when form filled in it will give you a number to start searching the news papers
                        close box scroll down to bottom of page and you will see the newspaper collections
                        away you go enjoy

Comment

No luck with Murdock - Dawson

Greetings everyone,
                          I sure appreciate all the info you've given me, but so far I've not been able to find out anything. I became a member of the library, but have not been able to find the newspaper collection spot and when I tried to find the Ireland family history, came up with nothing; Tried typing in Belfast News and entering dates, names, etc., came up with nothing; put in all the dates and names for wedding info on Family Search, came up "no Matches"; tried the gravesite inscriptions but since I have no idea when Wills and Mary Ann's parents died, wasn't able to find anything; Went to the Natl. Archives, but they start with the year 1901 and I know parents were dead by then, and the couple had already moved to Canada; I've spent money only to find "no matches" URGHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!. I'm not very computer savy, but when someone spells out each step for me the way Quoy did, and I still can't find anything, it makes me wonder if I'm not suppose to find my family )-:. They say you can't teach an old dog new tricks, but with you all being patient and willing to help me, maybe I'll prove them wrong.
                          Don't give up on me, please (-:
                          Charlotte

Comment

Hi Margaret, I did type a thread on Belfast Forum, so hopefully someone will respond
                            Thanks
                            Charlotte

Comment

Hi Charlotte
                              now you are a member of the library go to home
                              click "libraries"
                              lefthand side of the page click "online reference library"
                              scroll down to the bottom and you will see the newspaper collections
                              click on one of these and it will open a new window put in your pass number and it should work.

Comment

The newspaper collections are also listed on the right-hand side of the Online Reference Library page, under Premium Sources, and can also be found by clicking on the News & Current Affairs tab.
                                Last edited by Cloggie; 27-04-09, 06:32.
                                Sarah

Comment

Originally posted by wawarussell View Post
                                  put in all the dates and names for wedding info on Family Search, came up "no Matches"
                                  The Ireland Civil Registration Indexes can be found on the new FamilySearch Record Search pilot site (not the FamilySearch.org site).

To find the marriage reference, on FamilySearch Record Search click on Europe, then scroll down to Ireland and click on Ireland, Civil Registration Indexes 1845-1958.

Click on Exact & close match and select Exact, close & partial (which usually brings up more matches than Exact & close match).

Enter Wills in the first name box, and Murdock in the last/family name box, and click on Search.

For more tips on searching the Irish Civil Registration Indexes, see this thread: http://www.familytreeforum.com/resea...n-indexes.html
                                  Sarah

Comment

I have a couple of more questions., I finally figured out how to get library access,(thanks Quoy and Sarah) but once I get to the newspaper collection I have no idea what I'm looking for. Am i suppose to be able to find marriages, deaths etc. and if so, how. It seems everything I type into the search window comes up empty.
                                    Thanks again for your help. Also I was able to bring up Wills name in the Family search but how do I go about getting the info that's on the marriage cert.
                                    Thanks for your help
                                    Charlotte

Comment

New info on great great grandparents Murdock and Dawson

After doing more research, I'm finding that half the time Murdock is spelled Murdoch. I also have a picture of a house in Hillhall called Ballymullan House that had been in the family for some time before Wills sold it. On back of pictures it says it's now owned by Gillespies but I have no idea how old the picture is. Also, I found out that Mary Ann's fathers name was Joseph Dawson and he died 21 Aug 1831 in Magheragal, Co Antrium and her mothers name was Eliza Hodgens b. 26 Sept 1793 in Bow St, Lisburn and died 18 Dec 1873 in Indiana Canada. She must have been married before as I have Sefton for a last name before Dawson and 2 of their children had Sefton as a middle name.They must have had 6 or 7 children born on Cherry Brook Farm.
                                      That about does it. I do have a partial list of names of Mary Ann's siblings, if that would help.
                                      Thanks for all your imput. You have no idea how much this rookie appreciates it,
                                      Charlotte

Comment

Irish civil BMD certificates (including Northern Ireland up to 1921) can be ordered from The General Register Office Ireland :: An tSeirbhís um Chlárú Sibhialta.
                                        For Northern Ireland certificates (after 1921): The General Register Office of Northern Ireland
                                        Last edited by Cloggie; 28-04-09, 07:33.
                                        Sarah

Comment

Working...
                                        X