Help with a name please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with a name please

Can you have a look at the Morris family on the 1881 England census, please?
    RG11/3061 Folio 96 Page 13

What do you think the wife's name is? The GRO index and Warwickshire BMD have her name as Bennettaer Brooks on her marriage entry, but I don't think it says Bennettaer on the census, does it? And can you figure out what happened to her after 1881? Her husband remarried at the end of 1886 but not sure whether his first wife was dead or not!
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Looks like Meaniter or Menniter to me.
    Hail Spode!

Comment

She was born in Atherstone. Is this them?

Marriages Dec 1878
      Brooks Bennettaer Atherstone 6d 633
      Morris Jesse Atherstone 6d 633

???

Comment

Her birth (a bit younger than she thought?!!)?

Births Sep 1862
        BROOKS Bennettaer Atherstone 6d 336

Comment

lol I was just going off to cook something, so didn't actually READ most of your post!

Comment

It's definitely a M I can only read Mea...ter

Comment

any good?

BENNETTA BROOKS
              Birth:
              Christening: 04 JAN 1863 Atherstone Near Tamworth, Warwick, England
              Mother: RACHEL BROOKS
              Jess

Comment

Well she's not at 11 'The Patch' in 1891.

Still looking...
                Hail Spode!

Comment

Merry and Jess, thanks for the birth and baptism. So her name should be something like Bennetta, now if only I can find out what happened to her...
                  KiteRunner

Comment

A Benetta Brooke married in 1890 in Wakefield according to FreeBMD
                    Hail Spode!

Comment

Thanks, Guy, but I think that will be Benetta Brook whose birth was registered 1870.
                      KiteRunner

Comment

I'm not sure which one he is on the following census. Did he have any children with him b before 1886?

Comment

I know where Jesse Morris is on the census, and no, he doesn't have any children from that marriage with him. Then his second wife marries again using her maiden name, so I'm wondering whether she found out that he was still married to his first wife when he married her and so that marriage wasn't legal?
                          KiteRunner

Comment

I'm highly suspicious of this couple (read on!)!

Bennettaer Brooks' mother was Rachel Brooks, as detailed by Jess and confirmed by the 1871 census. On that census Bennettaer was recorded as being born in Hartshill, Worcestershire and aged 8.

Shifting forward to 1891 I looked at women born around the same date in Hartshill. There was no one who looked like their name should be Bennettaer, but I did spot:

James Banks (transcribed as Bank) head m 30 shoemaker b Brierley Hill, Staffs
                            Rachel Banks wife m 26 b Harts Hill, Worcestershire <<<<<< is this Bennettaer?
                            John Banks son 8 b Harts Hill, Worcestershire
                            James Banks son 2 b Harts Hill, Worcestershire

They are living in Wolverhampton, Staffs: RG12; Piece: 2236; Folio 102; Page 2

I looked for a marriage between Joseph Banks and a Rachel (in any county) between 1881 (Joseph Banks was single in 1881) and 1891 and this was the only one:

Marriages Sep 1882
                            Banks Joseph Stourbridge 6c 267 <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
                            Brooks Rachel Stourbridge 6c 267 <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
                            Smith Leonard Stourbridge 6c 267
                            WASSELL Jane Stourbridge 6c 267

A bt of a surprise that it was so soon after the 1881 census, but surely Rachel's surname is a bit of a coincidence?!

If you were called Bennettaer wouldn't you rather be called Rachel, after your mum?

The only problem with the above is that Bennettaer wasn't born in Hartshill as that's Dudley district not Atherstone (where she seems to have been registered - see earlier post), but I suppose she may have thought she was born there?

I cannot see a Rachel Brooks birth reg in any likely district around 1861/65.

Comment

Hmmm, that certainly looks promising, Merry, thanks. Is Hartshill, Worcestershire, the same as Hartshill, Warwickshire? Because most of Jesse Morris's family (i.e. father, aunts and uncles, grandmother) seem to have been born in Hartshill, Warwickshire.
                              KiteRunner

Comment

Working...
                              X