Formatting disks (or not!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Formatting disks (or not!)

I have Windows Vista and am having great trouble with backing up work. The pooter's just come back from its service and I don't know what's wrong. I had no trouble before it went in :(

I have Sony cd-rw 700 mb disks and I'm either told that 'formatting failed' or if I do get there, the formatting takes absolutely ages.

Any suggestions would be so gratefully received, but please, in easy peasy idiot-proof language

Gwyn
    Freya - a lovely, funny human-friendly disaster waiting to happen....

did you have the problem before it went for service?
    Tracy

Comment

No Tracy - I just bumbled along happily, doing what I always had done - format then save. I think I'd better see if I can ring them - PC World did it for me.

Gwyn

Comment

PC World ???? say no more good luck

Comment

Arrhh! - sounds ominous Val- mind you, I don't think I'll be doing it again.They've tweaked things like my enhanced viewer thingie for census returns, which I've had to re-install and I seem to have 'lost' Skype. I'm not best pleased to put it mildly!

Gwyn

Comment

Gwyn I will never buy another PC or anything like it there again they are more or less useless its shocking when you see what people have come back to complain about and their service is terrible, a couple in front of me the last time I went had brought their PC back they had come quite a way and were told to go and have lunch or something and come back later ,when I spoke to them it turned out they had been there all morning while PC World tried to repair a brand new PC
            They had my new Laptop and twice put a new Motherboard in within a few months and still it didnt work .
            Good luck

Comment

A mini-update...........

I have been on the phone for on and off three hours now. I have been guided through parts of the computer I never knew existed to rectify the problem with formatting. End result - computer says 'no'.

So, in with the Big Guns - OH then rang them and bounced big time. Spoke to a Team Leader (yes, we do have his name!) and he told us to make a list of the things which don't work (the formatting is only one) and then to take it back to Warrington and tell them to get it done and mention his name. He's personally guaranteed to make sure that things are fixed - and we have a £20 voucher (faints with joy!) as a measure of good will!

Watch this space............

Gwyn

Comment

I agree with Val---but very good luck with your quest!
                I've only been to pc world once--and they refused my 'foreign' visa card-so I walked out ,leaving goods at the desk,went to tesco and bought same stuff 1/3 cheaper with no hassle!

Comment

I suppose you have to spend the voucher in there ??? so they have lost nothing.
                  I dont understand why they cant do a job properly in the first place????
                  Keep us updated

Comment

Yes Val, I was rather underwhelmed by the offer of a voucher!! They've messed up (put politely), but expect us to spend with them

We've had a service contract with PC World for about two years now and this is the first time we've used it, as the pooter was ruuning slowly, so we thought it could probably do with a health check - huh

But, we will see - I'll keep you informed :(

Gwyn

Comment

Gwyn,

PC World sold me a Nero programme together with a new Vista PC about eighteen months ago. When I got it home reading the small print it did not mention Vista so I telephoned them they confirmed it would work (it cost £80.00 then). I tried to install it but my PC just did not like it. When I telephoned them again they arranged for me to take the PC 'Tower' to my local store some twenty miles away. When I got there, first the appointment was not booked and they were very rude about it. Next even though they had sold me the wrong package they would not exchange it as the 'Software' had left the store and the packet had of course been opened.

They said that they could try and install it for me but no Guarantee and I could not have the PC back for three days and cost £39.00 or sell me the correct version. At that time I had a contract with them but apparently it did not cover 'Software'.
                      I cancelled my contract with them on the spot and went home. The package is still on the floor under my desk with all my other filing.

I think it was very poor customer service when they admitted having sold me the wrong item.

Meanwhile I have had to rely on an external hard drive I cannot afford another Nero package.
                      Margaret N
                      DOGS HAVE OWNERS ~ CATS HAVE STAFF

Researching:- WILBURN from Yorkshire/Kings Lynn, London. NEWMAN from Dover/Reading. DOUGHTY from Portsmouth. ROGERS from Bethnal Green. Rumbelow from Norfolk

Comment

Margaret they sold me a Adapter which turned out to be the wrong one and their man had recommended it so I took it back and they refunded my money even though it had been used, I would not have left the shop without them doing so .
                        Thank goodness I stuck to my guns .

Comment

Oh Lord, the more I read, the more I regret ever having dealt with them!!! (is it too early to have a comforting glass of vino collapso???

Gwyn

Comment

;)Gwyn you have my permission

Comment

Hi Margaret
                              Have you E mailed Nero and tell them your story?

Jeff

Comment

whats happened ???????????

Comment

Hi Val

We still have to take the dratted thing back - OH hasn't been too good, so we've had to wait. But, it is definitely going back!!

Gwyn

Comment

oh dear good luck then

Comment

Working...
                                    X