Medievel Soldiers Database

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Medievel Soldiers Database

Not sure if this has been mentioned before.

The current edition of 'Who Do You Think You Are' magazine has a plug for this new site, a free database of soldiers who fought in the era of the Hundred years war against France 1369-1453. Apparantly this is the first time soldiers were 'mustered' on lists, so earliest record of 'ordinary' soldiers existing for England. Just searched and found four hits for my 'Meers' surname, all archers. Can't be certain they are mine, but interesting nevertheless, and fascinating reading the aims of the team in compiling this info.

Here's the address:

The Soldier in Later Medieval England.
    Last edited by Richard; 22-04-09, 23:17.

Thankyou for that Richard, I found one of mine - an archer in 1384
    Great news

Comment

Thank you also I have found one from my maiden name now all I have to do is get back to the 1300's to know he is mine lol.

Regards
      Jill

Comment

Thanks Richard.....................found stacks of OH's lot. Now I'll have to see what the Nature of Activity means..............lol

Comment

Found loads by the name of Noble and Cope but whether they are mine or not is going to be rather difficult to prove!!

Janet

Comment

One problem is that a lot of surnames had multiple variants in those days and it doesn't seem to have anything built in to allow for that yet, or am I missing something? With a lot of the surnames in my tree, it would be impossible to check for each possible variant as there are bound to be some I haven't come across yet!
            KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
            (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Your quite right. If you just type in 'Archer' and search by rank for example you get a whole list of names up and see how varied the spelling of surnames was. I spent a while looking for 'Blaybourne' the English archer, who was allegedly garrisoned at Rouen in 1441 and rumoured at the time to have had an affair with Lady Cicely Neville, and true father of Edward IV, and source of our Royals today! Couldn't find any trace of him.

A 'soundex' search would be ideal, but the site is a pilot, and seems to be an academic project that they are opening up to others as a 'bonus'.

Comment

More Banastres there than you can shake a stick at, I usually try to leave them alone as they are too complicated for me...I see there are plenty of Holdens there too.

Comment

Put in the old spelling of one of my lowland scots names and up it came, 2 who were expd? expelled? Scotland, very interesting....

Comment

Expd I think would probably mean they were part of an expedition force in a military campaign sent to fight abroad.

Comment

Hi Barbara, mine also said 'exped Scotland' - and I thought it would have been expedition. Didn't actually think of expelled - Mmmmmmmmmnnnnnnnnn!!;)

Comment

Hi Val.

I think exped Scotland was an expeditionary force to Scotland, as some of OH's Kirkbys went off to Scotland to fight.

One of another barnch of Kirkbys (they didn't get on, I'm led to believe) then petitioned the king for compensation.

Comment

Thanks Libby

Comment

plenty of my surnames. some of the captains are my rellies too.

Comment

Mine must have stopped in Scotland as they went on from there to Ireland in the plantation of Ulster. All I have to do now is find a connection. Val knowing my lot I still think expelled is more likely...:D

Comment

Originally posted by KiteRunner View Post
                                One problem is that a lot of surnames had multiple variants in those days and it doesn't seem to have anything built in to allow for that yet, or am I missing something? With a lot of the surnames in my tree, it would be impossible to check for each possible variant as there are bound to be some I haven't come across yet!
                                If you look at the SearchTips link (upper right of page) you'll see that there is a wildcard option, plus other suggestions.

Christine
                                Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Working...
                                X