Nightmare Scenario

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nightmare Scenario

I am sure that this has happened to others and may have been answered before but I would be most grateful for some advice.

I have over 4000 names in my tree and a relative in Melbourne has well over 1000 on hers. We have always been led to believe that our ancestors born around the year 1800 comprised four brothers [and possibly some sisters] all with the same father and mother. We have found it very difficult to prove back beyond these brothers because of different names being used Broughton/ Brewerton/ Bruerton/ Brereton/ Brearton etc. to name just five.

There is a suggestion now from some recently uncovered research done by another person years ago that our direct ancestor [one of the brothers] had different parents to the other three brothers. [The two fathers were possibly brothers Samuel and James and both mothers were Anns.] This could obviously prove to be a nightmare scenario meaning that I may have to relocate possibly 1000 names on to a new leg in my tree and my relative many hundreds.

Both of us have our trees on GR and FTM at the moment although if it means new softwhere then so be it. My question is do we have to enter all of the information one by one again or is it possible to create a brother for the original father and then move bodily a great branch of our tree from the original parents on to the new parents? If it is possible how is it done please?

I hope that I have explained the situation clearly and thank you in advance for the replies.

It is fairly simple to do with FTM.
    The first thing you need to do is to back up your file - just in case!

From what you say you have one set of parents with four sons - and you want to move one of these sons and attach him plus all his descendants to another set of parents.

Go to the family page which shows the parents and four sons, and put your cursor on the son that you wish to remove from this family.
    Select PEOPLE / FIX RELATIONSHIP / DETACH CHILD
    You will then get a message saying this person has siblings - do you want to detach them as well - your answer here will be NO.

Then find the correct set of parents where you wish to attach this child to. With the cursor on one of the parents name, Select PEOPLE / FIX RELATIONSHIP / ATTACH CHILD. You will then be shown the list of individuals in your file - find the child you have just detached from the wrong parents and click on his name - he will then be attached to the correct set of parents.

It sounds more complicated than it is - just make sure you back your file up first, just in case you get lost somewhere along the way!
    Last edited by Elaine ..Spain; 22-04-09, 21:38. Reason: typo
    Elaine

Comment

Thank you so much Elaine. You have put my mind at rest and I am sure my relation's in Oz as well. At least if it comes down to it then it looks easily achievable.
      Colin

Comment

Hi Colin,
        Oh those pesky Brewerton/Broughtons!! I am now studing Bruertons.
        You can also do it on tribal pages if you put your tree on there.
        Edit the person you want to change the parents of, scroll down and you will see a box with parents name. Change the names to the correct person.
        Easy.
        regards
        Jeanie
        If it's to be, it's up to me.
        Searching for:
        English: Brewerton, Wilkes, Edwards, Broughton, Piercy, Brundred, Homer, Parry, Wynn, Nock, Noden, Standley and Taylor.

Scottish: McDougall,Gemmell, Hunter, Stewart, Campbell, Downs, Galt, Frew, Hill, Hand, Main, Thomson, McLarty and Murdock.

Comment

You cannot do anything about it on GR though - you will have to make the alterations on your FTM and upload a new gedcom to GR.

(Although, sometimes GR will do the unhooking and re-hooking for you, if you explain carefully in words of one syllable, lol!)

OC

Comment

You need to be really careful pre 1837 as you don't have the census to confirm relationships.

In my tree there are three brothers who all had a son called John Davenport in 1810 - 1811 in the same village. Luckily for me, mine married in December 1837 so I was able to get him marriage, but the other married in 1836 and the third never married.

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

Comment

It's the Bruerton's that have come to the fore with us as well Jeanie. The list that I now have was transcribed from Chester RO some years ago and all of my Broughton 'brothers' have their parent's name listed as Bruerton. Elsewhere of course they show as Brewerton, Brearton, Brereton and any other possible spelling but surprisingly never Broughton.

I won't do anything about the change until I have seen the records first hand but that means the long trip to Chester to view the Dean Row pre 1800 records but it will be worth it.

Comment

Shall endeavor to call in the CRO for you today - remind me of the details in a PM please ( prob still have the other one somewhere but....)

S' Okay - I have got it
                Jess

Comment

Colin.....if your family are from the Chester area you may be able to get all the info from cprdb cheshire parish records site...my OAKES line are from Backford,Cheshire and I have researched back to the 1700`s without any problems....you SHOULD be able to get the parents every time a babtism is recorded,although sometimes they only give the fathers name....allan;)
                  Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
                  oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
                  adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
                  merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
                  coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Comment

Hi Colin,
                    I am now doing Bruerton as a variant on the study.
                    So far I have found a group in Staffordshire some of whom changed between the 2 names.
                    With your Broughtons being Bruerton and rarely Brewerton and my Brewertons being Bruerton occasionally and Broughton permanently in some cases, it is strange that they are not connected.
                    Off to search Cheshire Bruertons on the parish site.
                    If it's to be, it's up to me.
                    Searching for:
                    English: Brewerton, Wilkes, Edwards, Broughton, Piercy, Brundred, Homer, Parry, Wynn, Nock, Noden, Standley and Taylor.

Scottish: McDougall,Gemmell, Hunter, Stewart, Campbell, Downs, Galt, Frew, Hill, Hand, Main, Thomson, McLarty and Murdock.

Comment

Sorry Allan but they are from around the Wilmslow area and not done yet. Even Prestbury would be a help but that is not on yet either.

Comment

Working...
                      X