Munro, Cameron. Inverness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Munro, Cameron. Inverness

I have a marriage certificate for John Munro married Jessie Cameron in 1858 Inverness. His parents are Alexander Munro, Margaret McKenzie
    can't find any more information on them. would love to find family

Jessie Cameron parents are John Cameron and Jessie MacDonald. any help will be greatly appreciated on her family.

someone sent me the 1871 census for 8 Queen St Inverness.
    All children b Inverness

John Munro 38 tailor b Shandwick, Rosshire
    Jessie 31 b Glengardy
    John A 10
    Margaret A 8
    Joseph 6
    Donald 4
    Ann & Catherine - twins aged 1
    Inverness; ED: 14; Page: 18; Line: 8

ANY HELP will be GREATLY APPRECIATED
    Xenia

This is interesting for me because my ggg grandad was a tailor and lived in Huntly St. Inverness also, and around the same time.

In the 1881 census your family are in 54 Huntly St., Inverness

They have the same children plus

Hedin b c 1876
    Peter b c 1877
    James bc 1881.

Catherine is not there.
    herky
    Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

in 1891
      they are still in Inverness

In 1901 they are at 15 Young St. John is transcribed as a Sailor but I think it is an error - should be tailor.
      They are with children and 4 grandchildren b Glasgow by the name of Shaw.

Would you like me to pm you with more detail?

EDIT - I am now unsure about this one as the places of birth don'y match up. I will get back to you.
      Last edited by herky; 22-04-09, 17:04. Reason: Probably wrong census
      herky
      Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

There is a submitted birth entry for John Munro on the IGI (FamilySearch website), date of birth 30 Apr 1830 Nigg, Ross and Cromarty, Scotland, parents Alexr Munro and Margt McKenzie. There are also submitted entries for several of his brothers and sisters - just go onto the IGI search and select British Isles as the region and put the parents' names in but don't enter anything in the main name search fields, then you will see a list of matches. Obviously they can't all be the same family but it looks as though quite a few of them are. Then you would be best to buy some credits on Scotland's People to check these births and look for the family on the various Scottish censuses, also you would be able to search for Alexander and Margaret's marriage and work back. The same kind of thing should work for Jessie's family. Or have you already tried on Scotland's People?
        KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
        (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

1861 census returns this for Alexander Munro
          Parish: Aberdeen Greyfriars; ED: 45; Page: 20; Line: 23; Roll: CSSCT1861_25; Year: 1861.

Alexander Munro 36 Shoemaker bn Inverness 1825
          Margret Fleches 37 bn Forress, Morayshire
          Alexander Munro 7
          Mary Munro 1
          William Munro 6 Mo

Could this be them?
          Last edited by JulesSmith; 22-04-09, 17:07.
          Jules

I'anson of Lincolnshire and Yorkshire. Bannister of Lincolnshire. Burnett of Northumberland. Carter of Sussex and Hampshire. Goldring of Sussex and Hampshire. Fitzgerald of Goodness knows where. Smith of Yorkshire and Lincolnshire. Dixon of Lincolnshire. Payne of Hampshire

Comment

What about this one for 1861
            Jno Munro b c 1833, Invergordon, Ross shire, tailor
            Jessie b c 1838 b inverness
            John 6 months b Inverness

EDIT Living at No 17 Back Court, Inverness.
            Last edited by herky; 22-04-09, 17:21. Reason: adding address
            herky

Comment

Oh Shame you hadn't posted this a few days ago. I was at the record office in Edinburgh researching my mothers foster parents in Inverness-shire.

If your going on Scotland's people site it may be difficult to get the right family.

I was looking for the birth of Alexander McDonald and there were several hundred in Inverness area managed to filter down to parish, census's and age area which still left me with a about a hundred to check. I only had to view about 60 certificates to get the right one.

Good luck
              Jan

ps just sent you a pm
              Last edited by deletejb; 22-04-09, 17:51. Reason: to add ps

Comment

EDIT *Ignore this post. John is born in Stornoway, Ross

1851 Scottish census
                Margaret Munro 45 Tailors wife
                John Munro 18 Tailor
                Isabella Munro 16
                Donald Munro 13
                Alexander Munro 10
                Malcolm Munro 7
                Mary McDonald 70
                Margaret McDonald 30
                Mary McDonald 7
                Murdo McDonald 1

Parish: Stornoway; ED: 6; Page: 13; Line: 24; Roll: 1200; Year: 1851.
                Jules

I'anson of Lincolnshire and Yorkshire. Bannister of Lincolnshire. Burnett of Northumberland. Carter of Sussex and Hampshire. Goldring of Sussex and Hampshire. Fitzgerald of Goodness knows where. Smith of Yorkshire and Lincolnshire. Dixon of Lincolnshire. Payne of Hampshire

Comment

Thank you for the info, this is want i have,
                  John Munro married jessie cameron. Inverness
                  Son John Munro moved to Selkirk and married Helen Barret in 1890
                  xenia

Comment

Hi Xenia

I see John married to Helen on the 1891 census living at 19 Taits Hill Selkirk John worked as a Mason. Helen was born in Selkirk.
                    1901 there is a John Munro age 9 living with his mother Ellen at Scott's Close Selkirk.
                    Both census from ancestry.

Googled Shandwick, Rosshire for the parish it's Tain. On the OPR on SP site there are only 15 John Munro's born in that area between 1800 and 1830 --- what is his age on his marriage cert ? If you have any credits on SP site the 15 will be all on one page and the parents names will be on page. Your not likely to get any more info by downloading the image other than the godparents names - they are normally relatives.

There is a marriage for an Alex Munro and a Mckenzie (first name may not be Margaret) on the 30 Aug 1811 in Ross and Cromarty parish of Rosskeen.

Comment

I have a marriage certificate for John Munro married Jessie Cameron in 1858 Inverness. His parents are Alexander Munro, Margaret McKenzie
                      can't find any more information on them. would love to find...
                      Been to Edinburgh ------- just going to pm you

Jan

Comment

Working...
                      X