Irish Family History Foundation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Irish Family History Foundation

Has anyone ever paid to access the records on this site. I have found the marriage of my g.grandmas half sister in Co. Longford. It costs 5 euros to view the record. Just wondering if anyone has had success with this site and would recommend it.

Birth Death Marriage Genealogy Records Ireland - Irish Family History Foundation

a lot of members here use it. but it is incomplete, not all counties are on there.
    and it seems to be a little expensive too.

Comment

Yes I see its not complete. When you pay for the info, do you get the actual image of the marriage or whatever, as if you were purchasing a cert, or would it be just a transcription?

Comment

If you click on 'SAMPLES' at the top of their page, you are taken to a page that tells you they are transcriptions, and shows samples illustrating what you can expect to receive for each of the various types of records they offer.

Comment

Thanks for that, does seem a bit expensive for just a transcription.

Comment

Is it expensive?

What would it cost you to go to Ireland and look at the original?

Hugo

PS Think yourselves lucky! Most of my ancestors came from Ireland and I have yet to find any Irish record for them.

Comment

I have bought a few from there. If it is a marriage that is listed on the Irish civil registration indexes (on Family Search's pilot site) then the alternative would be to order a copy of the cert from the Irish GRO, but I don't think it would work out much cheaper and if you buy from the IFHF you get the info immediately.
              KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
              (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Kite's right. It costs more to obtain a certificate from the Irish GRO: certificates are €10 (€8 for additional copies), and searches & photocopies of entries in the register are €6 (€4 for additional copies)

The General Register Office - Fees
                Sarah

Comment

Oh, or some Family History Centres have (some of) the Irish marriages on microfilm so you could go and view it at one of those.
                  KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                  (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Working...
                  X