Records for marine engineers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Records for marine engineers?

I've got someone who disappears after the 71 census then reappears in 1911 living with his nephew as a marine engineer.

Does anyone know if any records exist, i've googled but can't see anything.
    Jay

Hi Jay, I think marine engineer covers all sorts of workers, so I don't think there will be a record collection as such that you can look at unless you know who he worked for, i.e merchant navy, royal navy, or even on a trawler. Not much help I know, but you may need more details before you can follow this up.
    Jules

I'anson of Lincolnshire and Yorkshire. Bannister of Lincolnshire. Burnett of Northumberland. Carter of Sussex and Hampshire. Goldring of Sussex and Hampshire. Fitzgerald of Goodness knows where. Smith of Yorkshire and Lincolnshire. Dixon of Lincolnshire. Payne of Hampshire

Comment

Thanks Jules.

I thought I was a long shot.

With not being able to find him 1881 - 1901 I am presuming he's at sea
      Jay

Comment

Put his details up and I'll have a quick look... fresh pair of eyes and all that.
        Jules

I'anson of Lincolnshire and Yorkshire. Bannister of Lincolnshire. Burnett of Northumberland. Carter of Sussex and Hampshire. Goldring of Sussex and Hampshire. Fitzgerald of Goodness knows where. Smith of Yorkshire and Lincolnshire. Dixon of Lincolnshire. Payne of Hampshire

Comment

Thanks Jules

John Readman (somethings Redman)
          born 1849

Brith March 1849 Glendale Reg District

1851 aged 2 born Cornhill, Durham

- Ancestry.co.uk

1861 aged 13 born Scotland

- Ancestry.co.uk

1871 aged 23 born Scotland

- Ancestry.co.uk

I've found Cornhill on Tweed on the map & is right on the Scottish boarder so see where the born Scotland comes from.
          Jay

Comment

What a lot of Readman in Yorkshire lol. I can't see him either. Seems pretty unlucky for you if he is at sea for each of the census' though. I also tried Scottish census just incase, but no luck there either.

Have you found any of his younger sisters on these census'?
            Jules

Comment

Also, what do you make of the alternative name Wake?
              Jules

Comment

Thanks for looking Jules.

I've got all his brothers & sisters on the census, it's just him who's the problem. When I saw him on the 1911 census I couldn't believe it

Wake is his aunt's married name, Mary Readman married Henry Wake 1865, not sure why Ancestry have them like that.
                Jay

Comment

Sorry I wasn't much help.
                  Jules

Comment

Records do exist for marine engineers at TNA Kew, but I do not think these records are online. My grandfather was a marine engineer and I obtained his records by visiting Kew. You usually get the name of the person, his date and place of birth and the certificate he gained 1/2 or 3 class and where he gained it. Try googlimg TNA for details. At least you should be able to download the leaflet on how to obtain these records.

Janet

Comment

Thanks Janet.

I'd already searched TNA, but only on his name so will have another look.
                      Jay

Comment

My grandfather was a founder vice-president of the Institute of Marine Engineers. The successor body may have records. There seem to be plenty of Google references.
                        Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

You are lucky he turned up again! OH's gg grandfather was a marine engineer on the 1891 census. Then he vanishes off the face of the earth .... or so we thought until we found a list of trawlermen lost at sea from Hull. He was lost with his boat in a big storm in 1895 (along with 15 other boats from Hull). Of course there is no death certificate because there was no body!

Anne

Comment

so is marine engineer a generic description for ANYONE who works as an engineer on any type of boat? I thought I needed to be specific when I was searching for just such an occupation. I was advised myself to find out what sort of boat and/or industry he was engineer for. Will only ask people on here from now on I think!!

Looks like I gave you duff info Jay, sorry mate.
                            Jules

Comment

Thanks UJ i'll look them up

Anne it was a complete surprise to see him living with his nephew after being AWOL all those years.

Jules don't worry you, you've been helpful.
                              Jay

Comment

Working...
                              X