Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with copy and pasting please

I used to be able to, but now no longer can:

My photo's are stored in 'my pictures' and I could always highlight them and then copy/cut and paste into documents in my word processor.

For some reason now the pictures won't highlight.

I have tried using the side panel which gives me the option to 'move this folder' - this does then give me a rectangle with the message 'jpeg' in it on my WP document, which I can move around - but still no actual photo has transferred.

This was all so easy once, so I know there is probably a simple answer, but so far I have been unable to work it out.

Your help would be much appreciated.

My only thought if you are using Vista is that either Explorer or Word is running elevated?

Can you still insert pictures via the insert menu/bar
    Jane
    Family Historian User Group : My Family History : My Photography
    "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."

Comment

No, Vista doesn't sound familiar, and my WP is Lotus

and what does 'running elevated' mean please

Comment

Val
        I haven't used Lotus for a few years but it is similar to MS Word.
        See if there is an Insert menu or option and if so, there should also be the option to 'insert picture from file'.
        Let me know if it works.
        Lynne

Searching for Ford, Duffy, (Manchester and Ireland) Cree (Manchester, Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire), Owen (Manchester), Humphreys (Manchester and Ireland), Egerton (Manchester and Cheshire), Cresswell (Manchester).

Comment

If you are not on Vista (which is the current version of windows) it won't be an authority problem (on vista drag and drop stops working if one program is running as an administrator and the other is not).

I have not used Lotus WordPro for years. I am sure you can insert pictures from the menu though.
          Jane
          Family Historian User Group : My Family History : My Photography
          "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."

Comment

Have you tried the Help menu for step by step instructions?

Do you use a particular photo programme like Adobe?

Maybe one of these has been updated rather like MS Vista is all too freqently.
            Margaret N
            DOGS HAVE OWNERS ~ CATS HAVE STAFF

Researching:- WILBURN from Yorkshire/Kings Lynn, London. NEWMAN from Dover/Reading. DOUGHTY from Portsmouth. ROGERS from Bethnal Green. Rumbelow from Norfolk

Comment

Thankyou for your suggestions, we tried them all but with no luck so far. George has isolated the problem to 'my pictures' as we are able to copy and paste from both emails and the internet into Lotus WP.

I looked in properties and tried a few different ideas there but still no luck. The photo would only copy into Lotus as a rectangle with the words 'scan 000123 JPG'

Do you use a particular photo programme like Adobe?
              No Margaret, only my pictures which is associated with Windows XP.

Just a thought, but about 3 months back we connected to Photobucket
              Could that possibly have anything to do with it? I can't see why it would

Grrrr.......... this is sooo very frustrating as it was all too easy before.

Comment

Val - I have absolutely no experience with Lotus, but is there any chance it could be something to do with updates to the security settings on it?

I've just tried right clicking a photo in My Pictures, copying and pasting into a Word doc. It only showed up as the little jpg icon plus the photo title. When I then clicked on the jpg icon, a warning came up to say that I was about to activate an embedded object which might contain viruses and was I sure the source was trustworthy.
                Gillian
                User page: http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...ustGillian-117

Comment

Hi

There is no guarantee this will work but try it.

You are typing away in Word, want to put in a picture, you go to your pictures (will need to still have your original window open), if you right click on the picture it should come up with copy, click on that, go back into your document, right click on button again and it should come up with paste.

The only other way I can think of is loading piccies onto photobucket and using the IMG code (but make sure you have the brackets) and use the above steps.

Good luck and hope you have your piccies easily.

Comment

Still trying, and not succeeding. I will consult my brother-in-law at the weekend and see if he has any suggestions. Another thought has been that we shall install another WP program to see if it works then. We are still of the impression thought that the problem lies with 'my pictures' and not being able to highlight.
                    I'll let you know how we get on, meanwhile many thanks

Comment

Can you right-click on a picture in "My pictures" and does it give you the option to copy it?
                      KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                      (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Yes Kate, when I do that I then paste it into my WP it comes up with a small rectangle with 'scan' then the photo number and 'JPG' But - no photo materialises the frustrating part is it used to be so easy to just highlight over the picture - then copy and paste. I don't understand why I can't do that now.

Comment

I do not know this programme but I wonder if on either My Pictures or your Lotus WP if you click on these programmes and look through the properties. Maybe you need to switch around 'Read Only' so many of these things on our computers are back to front. ( I mean often one is not certain whether to say YES of NO ) when setting up.
                          Margaret N
                          DOGS HAVE OWNERS ~ CATS HAVE STAFF

Researching:- WILBURN from Yorkshire/Kings Lynn, London. NEWMAN from Dover/Reading. DOUGHTY from Portsmouth. ROGERS from Bethnal Green. Rumbelow from Norfolk

Comment

We haven't given up - yet, still trying, so far with no luck.

My brother-in-law installed Lotus on his computer and could copy and paste from that, so it is obviously a problem with our computer's 'my pictures'

At present we are trying the Microsoft Online Assisted support to see if they can offer any suggestions.
                            We are determined we are going to sort this out - it is a good job George is so patient - and we aren't in a rush!!:D

Comment

George asks how long would you estimate for the lifetime of a hard drive? We have had ours for 7 years, pretty much use the computer every day, and someone suggested that maybe we were due for a new one? That our old one was wearing out - hence the problems. Your thoughts please

Comment

Originally posted by Val and George View Post
                                George asks how long would you estimate for the lifetime of a hard drive? We have had ours for 7 years, pretty much use the computer every day, and someone suggested that maybe we were due for a new one? That our old one was wearing out - hence the problems. Your thoughts please
                                Could be that is why you are having problems, seven years is a lot in the life of a computer.

Comment

I don't see how it could be a problem with your hard drive, but if you want to check for hard drive errors you can run a CHKDSK to see if it finds any. It sounds more like some setting somewhere that needs changing.
                                  KiteRunner

Comment

It sounds more like some setting somewhere that needs changing.

That was our thought KR, I am sure it is just a case of a tick being in the wrong place - or missing, however it still eludes us for the morment.

We will try your suggestion though and we are hopeful that Microsoft will get back to us tomorrow, with some ideas.

Thankyou to you and Lorraine

Comment

Just to let you all know George has finally sorted out the computer and I can 'cut and paste' again. He says he really doesn't know just how he did it, Microsoft hadn't been able to work it out either, but we did apply some of their suggestions, so maybe one of those helped.
                                      I am so relieved, now I can get back into my family history books again.
                                      Thankyou for your help and suggestions, between us all we sorted it!:D

Comment

Good to hear, Val.
                                        KiteRunner

Comment

Working...
                                        X