Looking for Mabel's marriage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for Mabel's marriage

Mabel Marshall appears on the 1911 census, aged 14, with Thomas Francis Marshall & Eliza Hornby Marshall, living in West Yorkshire.

2 March 1929 Mabel Lockyer, widow, marries Adams Edwards in British Columbia. She had emigrated very shortly beforehand (from South London) with a small son in tow. The marriage details tie her in nicely as Mabel Marshall.

The family story was that Adams married his niece

In fact, Adams' sister Susan married William Lockyer. By 1911 William & Susan were in Bradford.

William had a son Arthur b 1884 from an earlier marriage.
    William Charles Lockyer b 1893 married Mary E Bruorton in 1911 and had 4 children by 1920
    Ernest Adams E Lockyer b 1897 may have married Marjorie Chapman in 1922 (but this is in Pontefract and may be Ernest Arthur, born Pontefract RD) He died in 1926 in Bradford. I cannot find any children of the marriage.

I can't find a suitable Lockyer - Mabel marriage.
    I can't find any Lockyer/Marshall children.
    I can't positively locate Ernest or Arthur in 1911.
    In theory, Mabel married either Ernest or Arthur, but I can't find any proof.

Looking at the coverage charts, 1917 and 1920 are the only marriage years with large gaps on Freebmd. Can anyone see Mabel, please?

NB - I'm off home as it has taken the better part of 2 hours to check all the details, but will reply to any suggestions tomorrow.
    Last edited by Phoenix; 21-04-09, 19:24. Reason: Putting "please" in!
    Phoenix - with charred feathers
    Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Originally posted by Phoenix View Post
    William Charles Lockyer b 1893 married Mary E Bruorton in 1911 and had 4 children by 1920
    Jeanie's collecting Bruertons, you might try her.

Comment

I've had a look for a Mabel-Lockyer marriage, but I can't see anything.

Sounds as though you need the birth cert of the son Mabel emigrated with.

Comment

If I could find it, Mary!

My hope was that Mabel was widowed and that Adams was in fact her third husband. But it may be that her relationship with any member of the Lockyer was rather looser and her son was actually a Marshall.

Will contact Jeannie, as one of the spellings of Bruorton begins with a P!
        Phoenix - with charred feathers
        Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Hello! To resurrect an old thread that looks as though it hasn't been answered, I would like to fill in some details. Mabel's "small son" was my father, Francis (Frank) Ernest Lockyer, who passed away April 22, 2013. He was born July 19, 1922 in Ottawa, Ontario (though I haven't managed to dig up his birth certificate, yet, only his father's). From what I remember my father telling me, Mabel married Ernest Lockyer and had only one child in her lifetime. Mabel, Ernest and their "small son" returned to England, where Ernest passed away from mustard gas poisoning he received in WW1; a few years later, Mabel and my father returned to Canada, living in Bear Hill in Saanich, British Columbia. Then Mabel, as my father remembered it, was pressured into marrying her first husband's brother (my father's uncle), but had no children with him. (I have photos but no exact dates).
          My father, Frank, served in the Canadian Navy in WWII. He married his first wife, Nancy, and had a son, David (who passed away at age 60 several years ago) and Linda Lockyer. Many years after his first wife passed away, Frank married Katerina Pilchova (one of his numerous penfriends) from the Czech Republic, and had one daughter (me).
          I hope this helps!

Comment

Hello Dotlock - Phoenix hasn't been on site for some time, but hopefully I've sent her a personal message explaining that you have added to an old thread of hers. .... Jay
            Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Then Mabel, as my father remembered it, was pressured into marrying her first husband's brother (my father's uncle), but had no children with him. (I have photos but no exact dates).
              Hi Dotlock,
              Details of Mabel Lockyer's marriage to Adams Edwards can be found here - he was 61 whilst she was 32 - plus lots of other details.

Regards,
              Christine
              Last edited by Karamazov; 03-05-13, 21:35.
              Researching:
              HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

Dotlock,
                some further info in case you don't have it. Given Adams Edwards' age at marriage of 61 in 1929, I think this is more than likely his death record aged 76 in 1944. unfortunately, on this occasion there is no image of the record attached:

Christine
                Researching:
                HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

there is some interesting finds there Christine... well done :smilee:
                  Julie
                  They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Thank you!

Comment

Working...
                    X